stig olsen
Creamy skin tones
on Dec 2, 2012 at 12:05:48 am

Hi! What is your best approach to achieving a creamy (pale) skin tone? Stig

Return to posts index

stig olsen
Re: Creamy skin tones
on Dec 2, 2012 at 12:21:34 am

In PS it can be done by reducing the black levels in the red and yellow channels only. Cant figure out a way to do this in Resolve. Stig

Return to posts index

Robin Erard
on Dec 2, 2012 at 11:30:57 pm

Hello,

Have you got an example ?

Robin

réalisateur, scénariste, monteur, étalonneur
http://www.robinerard.ch

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Dec 3, 2012 at 4:38:02 am

Hue vs lum would allow you to do that. NR plus a qualifier works well for skins too.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Dec 3, 2012 at 9:22:37 am

Hi Juan,

The hue vs lum would probably solve it, but this tool need some extra attention from the developers I think. I have never managed to make clean luma adjustments from individual colors with this tool.

Most softwares do have a lightness option next to each channel (or colors). My workaround for now is to boost the red in both the red, green and blue channel equally in the channel mixer. When preserve luminance is off it takes me closer. But not there.

Robin, the creamy skin tones is a technique that is heavily used in commercials.
Do a google search and there is a lot of examples.

Stig

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Dec 3, 2012 at 10:29:12 am

Its mostly overdone in commercials...
And whenever we had to do it we are using Flame or Nuke.
Plugins that could analyse differences in gradients through optical flow and constant contrast change.
I think its called GLint in PS...
But I dont think this is an Colorists task, actually.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.4 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Dec 3, 2012 at 11:19:28 am

Hi Sascha,

I agree, but I am not talking about silk smoothing techniques, but basically having the possibility to make luma adjustments on separate channels and separate colors. Like red and yellow in this case. I think that should be possible, and I dont find lum vs hue to be appropriate for that task. Its a common way and a good tool when adjusting skin tones.

Stig

Return to posts index

Alan Gordon
on Dec 4, 2012 at 7:50:49 pm

The yellow channel? I'm not aware of such a thing. In RGB yellow is minus blue (or plus red and green)

I'm not familiar with the particular effect that you are talking about but couldn't you raise the lift of the Red and green channels with more weight on the red?

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Dec 4, 2012 at 9:33:20 pm

Hi Alan,

In some grading tools you have a channel control that consist of master, reds, yellows, greens, cyans, blues and magentas. They come with an separate lightness controller that can boost the lightness.

The lightness controller works different that what you will think. It does not boost the red color, but the luma and create a pale face (if that is what you want) if its mixed with the orange slider.

With the hue vs lum, I have never managed to boost the "lightness" with separate colors. It is also destroying / cracking the picture. Despite of having soft and bezier curves. It doesnt matter if I work with Alexa og Red footage in 4,5K.

I wonder if you can manage to get this effect with other methods.
Maybe the channel mixer is useful for something like this?

Write "creamy skin tone" and select images in google - and you will se what I mean.

Thanks for you help.

Stig

Return to posts index

akim behoud
on Dec 5, 2012 at 4:00:56 pm

Hello Stig
Since La Iena Ride Gente!!! hate Photoshop, Email me directly AkimBehoud at yahoo dot com and I will show you first how to mimic Photoshop "Creamy skin tones" and second improve from there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]