FORUMS: list search recent posts

Davinci Roundtrip Sync issues (using PPro CS 5.5)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Battershell
Davinci Roundtrip Sync issues (using PPro CS 5.5)
on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:37:32 pm

At this point, I am using v9.03 and I've had sizing issues regarding round tripping using XML and Premiere Pro 5.5. I think Davinci is working on this.

However I found another issue. SYNCING. I'm using 5dmkII footage and have tried checking use time code from source AND from frames. Frame rate is 24p in both Resolve and PPro.

Because of the sizing issue (my PPro sequence had hundreds of shots re-sized), I tried my hand at conforming the media in PPro to a separate folder, then importing those clips into resolve, grading, rendering out OVER the clips with the same name. PPro would simply update the clips with the color graded ones in the timeline - or so I thought.

Yes I used handles in PPro and also found not all the footage was conformed properly in Adobe Media Manager (for instance, some clips were still say a minute long on the hard drive even though I used 15 seconds in the timeline). Suffice it to say, Media Manager worked pretty well - the timeline was correct.

THE PROBLEM(s)
First, PPro had a hard time linking the footage back into the timeline even though the file names were the same (maybe because now it was ProRes 422?) It would find some, I'd have to relink others, but then the timeline would show the clip icon with hash marks over it even after relinking & the viewer was blank. This happened for some, not for all.

Then, on other clips I found they were synced 4-10 frames off. I'd place the color-graded clip over the timeline with the original clip (had a backup of originals and re-imported) and noticed the cuts were the same length, but the color graded clips would start the in-point a few frames AFTER what the in point actually was. So sync was off.

SECOND METHOD
I said, forget that, let's try round-tripping using XML and manually resize all the stinking clips afterward. I take my final edit, export Final Cut Pro XML from PPRO. Import to Resolve. Fiddle with some clips that were not found, but get things right in Resolve timeline. Render Color grade to new directory. Export XML from Resolve. Import XML into PPro, open new sequence.

AGAIN, the same issue. The in-points on MOST clips were a few frames after, so I'd have to slip the clips, only this time, I couldn't always because Resolve rendered without handles I guess (I could change that).

Again, I tried both "use time code from source and from frames." Is this because of the 5dmkII? Longer takes had more issues.

Is this from going from h264 to ProRes? Would conforming all 5dmkII footage before editing to ProRes be the best option?? Thank you for help, it's a long post sorry. Was up all night :(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]