FORUMS: list search recent posts

Z820 Avid / Davinci / After Effects

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
Z820 Avid / Davinci / After Effects
on Nov 21, 2012 at 5:17:37 pm

Hi,

We are thinking about buying the new PC Z820 for running both Avid, AE and Davinci. Is that possible?

Because of the lack of slots I now work with two macs linked with a CubiQ dual link.
1. Avid / AE
2. Davinci.
The CubiQ dual link let me switch between those machines that is connected to a OLED, RAID, two computer screens etc.

I dont want to wait for Apples "release" of a new multi-slot machine and I dont want to buy Qubix extention as the old (but fully prepped) mac is out of date and with less power than the Z820.

What do you recommend? Is it possible to run Avid, AE and Davinci on this machine?

P Z820 Avid Approved Workstation
HP Z820 Workstation HP Z820 1125W 90 Efficient Chassis
MS Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS Xeon
E5-2640 6C 2.50 15MB 1333 CPU-1 Xeon
E5-2640 6C 2.50 15MB 1333 CPU-2 HP
16GB (8x2GB) DDR3-1600 2-CPU RAM NVIDIA Quadro
4000 2.0GB Graphics HP 1TB SATA 7200 1st HDD HP PS/2 Standard Keyboard HP PS/2 Optical Scroll Mouse 16X SuperMulti DVDRW SATA 1st ODD HP 3-3-3 Warranty HP SAS Back Panel Connector Kit HP Z820 Localization Kit HP Dual Processor Air Cooling Kit

Stig

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Z820 Avid / Davinci / After Effects
on Nov 22, 2012 at 1:02:15 am

I suggest you select a lot faster GPU for DaVinci processing. The Q4000 is very lite compared to the new GTX 6xx series.
Peter

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 22, 2012 at 12:18:01 pm

Ok thank you.
will that work for Avid too? What do you recommend as the second graphic card?

Anyone used Avid and Resolve on the same PC?
I read on this forum that you need to adjust a text-file to make it work? Is that correct or is that fixed now?

Stig

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 22, 2012 at 4:18:15 pm

Hi again Peter,

The price for the 6000-card that I found is 4400USD. Any other good options for more GPU power?
I already have a RED Rocket card.

Stig

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Nov 22, 2012 at 4:27:12 pm

Different cards.

Peter mentioned GTX 6xx not 6000

see the difference in numbering!

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 22, 2012 at 4:40:41 pm

I see :)

So they all perform better than the GTX 470 card? Even the GTX 640?

Stig

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Nov 22, 2012 at 4:44:50 pm

680 probably perform better yes.

Dig around here, it has been covered many times i think.

--

Margus

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Glenn Sakatch
on Nov 23, 2012 at 1:37:41 am

Stig, i have a Z800 running Avid DS 11 and Avid Media Composer 6. I have also installed the light version of Resolve on the box. My DS came with the nvida 4800, and i only have the one graphics card, as for the most part the box is a DS box. I also have a Kona 3 (required by DS) as my main I/O setup. When i first installed Resolve, i had a conflict with the Nvidia driver that DS was expecting, as Resolve was looking for a newer Cuda version to allow Resolve to work. I backed everything up and updated my driver, and everything seems to be working fine. My only problem was feeding a monitor, as Resolve wants Black Magic cards, and DS wants the Kona. I just installed a decklink SDI card to see if i could get the monitoring to work, and not have DS explode on me. I was afraid i was going to have to write some bat file to allow the services to turn on and off during the launching of each program, but to my surprise the two cards seem to be playing fine with each other.

As I said at the top, i only have the one graphics card, so the system is not optimum for Resolve, but i can use it if I want to.

If i didn't have the DS, and didn't have the Kona, i could probably fit another graphics card in the box and start playing that way...but that is not in my list of needs. I use DS daily as my main finishing box.

On my home system (Mac) i do have Final cut, Avid, Premiere and Resolve full version all running fine with each other using a Blackmagic Extreme 3d card, an Nvidia 4800 and a GTX 250?...something like that...the basic video card feeding the monitors, and the 4800 running resolves cuda.

Hope some of this info helps.

Glenn

Glenn

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 23, 2012 at 12:37:23 pm

Thank you!

As I understand... if I will use both Avid and Resolve on the same machine, I need two graphic cards - one for Avid (Nvidia 4000) and one for Resolve (GTX 680/690). Then I need to configure the text file in the Avid folder.

Can someone confirm that those cards will work together on the same machine with both Resolve and Avid?

stig

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Nov 23, 2012 at 12:40:03 pm

i see no reason why they can not work with resolve.

I have 4000 as gui and 470 as gnu. works fine.

can not comment on 690 power. up to now 580 was the one that did not fry your machine if used internally.

--

Margus

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Ronen Pestes
on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:10:57 am

The only issue is that Avid and Resolve are not using the same driver version at the moment for the graphics card.

So you can potentially expect some performance issue. On the Avid side it's slower render times, and lag in system response.

Ronen

Return to posts index

Jonathon Lee
on Nov 25, 2012 at 7:39:27 pm

Hey Stig,

I have a 4-core 3.06Ghz HP Z400 that runs Media Composer, Pro Tools, Adobe CS6, and Resolve. It has installed:

Quadro 600 for GUI
GTX 285 for GPU
Decklink HD Dual-link
LSI 8888ELP SAS RAID card

Running win7 pro 64-bit w/24GB

Works great. It's not my main machine, but I wanted to experiment with windows in the event Apple does not come through with new Mac Pro's. I love it. For having a slow GPU and only 4-cores it renders decently. The i/o performance on the SAS RAID is excellent. I'm only using 500gb drives but it's a RAID-6 with 12 HDD's. Always seems to outperform my 12-core and 8-core Mac Pros that are on Fibre Channel.

Anyhow, Media Composer and Resolve run well in the same box. Media Composer is very fast on this setup. You just CAN NOT run them at the same time due to the Decklink sharing... same issue on a Mac.

Anyhow, the z820 (or the supermicro GPU workstation) is probably my backup plan if we don't get awesome new MacPro's.

- Jonathon

Return to posts index

Chuck Dickens
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:21:20 am

Running Z820 here with GTX 580 for rendering and quadro 4000 for GUI. Altered Avid's Qualified GPU file to accept the driver Resolve wants. Also running Eyeon Fusion which uses the 580 which just screams. Side benefit is the Fusion/Symphhony/Resolve seem to all use the decklink card just fine on there own. Early days for us on resolve but everything seems to be working fine.

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 28, 2012 at 2:48:02 pm

Hi,

I just bought the Z820 with a Quadro 4000 for GUI and a GTX 690.

Any slot recommendations for using both Avid and Resolve?

- Q4000
- GTX 690
- Red Rocket
- Decklink
- External Raid
- Avid Mojo DX
- P2 Recorder

I have read the configuration manual for Resolve, but I want to make sure that this will work for my combined solution.

Stig

Return to posts index

Horacio Ingargiola
on Dec 24, 2012 at 4:33:50 am

For the hardware you put in the list you will need 2 pci express 16 slots, the first for gui card, and the second for GPU card, 2 pci express x4 1 for decklink and the other for mojo DX. AND 3rd pci express x4 or x8 for external raid.
In the terms of compatibility I don't know if mojo and decklink can work together, but you can probe it
For the software you can run Avid, Nuke, Adobe all together with out major problems, davinci it's integrated with avid with aaf,and for after effects you can use aaf too or boris software to integrate avid and AE

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]