FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cineform White Balance/Metadata problems

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
justin lovell
Cineform White Balance/Metadata problems
on Nov 20, 2012 at 5:49:11 pm

Hey guys,

1. I have si2k Cineform RAW files, and cannot adjust any of the metadata. How can I access this, or will it be implemented in a new build?

I have no access to turn on/off
-primaries
-debayering
-looks
-orientation
-image flips
-ovelays
-tools
-framing
-white balance

(install the free go pro studio software from their website and you'll get a little purple icon on your mac in the top right that allows you to turn on and off this metadata. These changes are visible in QT player, but not when playing the clip in resolve.. it seems to ignore this data when you turn on/off).

2. The most strange is that none of the metadata sticks to the file - EXCEPT the in camera white balance. Which is the one piece of data that I need to turn off. I had a two camera shoot and one camera was set to 5600, the other to 3200, I want to turn off the White Balance to grade from the RAW/No white balance so both cameras match.

3. The debayering from the cineform settings is better then using the sharpen control in resolve... sharpening in resolve introduces too many artifacts on the camera original.

With the new gopro supporting cineform, it would be essential to support this codec.

Justin Lovell /Assoc. CSC
cinematographer//
8/16mm>2K.transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
Re: Cineform White Balance/Metadata problems
on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:19:11 am

I might be completely off here but try to download and install a trial of the premium version of GoPro Studio and see if it fixes your problems. Also you will not see any changes unless you quit and reopen Resolve.

Return to posts index

justin lovell
on Nov 21, 2012 at 3:34:16 am

You're not completely off, you just didn't read the part of the post where I wrote about using the GoPro studio software.

I have the professional version of the software installed, but it does not make a difference.

I contacted davinci help, and I am the only person who has requested this feature, so unlikely it will be implemented.

If you want this added, please email davincihelp@blackmagicdesign.com and request support for the meta data controls of Cineform. If enough people request for it, it can be implemented.

Justin Lovell /Assoc. CSC
cinematographer//
8/16mm>2K.transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Nov 22, 2012 at 11:20:30 am

Good idea, gets my vote too, please support more RAW file formats.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.4 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 26, 2012 at 7:08:32 pm

What I have heard, from someone who works with the Cineform codec often, is that most "finishing" platforms need the Cineform metadata baked in, so unless you are only working with the cineform toolset you will need to export to something else, or possibly the same format w/ the WB turned off and your debayer set.

That way everything is in the file and not floating around...

This is hearsay, as I said, but I personally trust the source... not that that has to mean anything to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]