FORUMS: list search recent posts

Options for Low Budget scopes

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Saboya Burgos
Options for Low Budget scopes
on Nov 19, 2012 at 10:31:03 pm

Hi, I've recently upgraded my equipment for working properly on color correction. I'm aware that, depending on how strict one might be on terms of accuracy, one might think it's not proper at all.

The only thing thats still missing is decent waveform/scope monitoring. I've been using Resolve and Color's scopes and know that is far from accurate.

First I considered Blackmagic's Ultrascope, but it's windows-based and I'm using a mac. Something like a Tektronix is far too expensive for me.

Any recommendations on an affordable, good scope costing 1k tops? Or should I start looking for an used one?

ps: my equipament -

Imac I7
AVID MC Color
Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express (through thunderbolt)
Sony TRIMASTER 17'' PVM-1741 (through HD-SDI)

Thanks!

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: Options for Low Budget scopes
on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:27:08 pm

Are you running V9? I think the scopes are fairly decent in Resolve V9 and a second monitor is pretty cheap.

Otherwise on that budget what I would do is to get a Mac-Mini and a copy of Scopebox plus a BMD UltraStudio Recorder for the Mini's T-Bolt port.

They will be 10bit 4:2:2 scopes and Scopebox is really great.

Total cost is around $850.00 for the Mini, the Scopebox software and the BMD SDI Recorder box.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:17:20 am

Hi, Robert, thanks for your answer!

I'm running Resolve V9 and have read in blackmagic's specifications that their new scopes were fairly good, but haven't heard anyone confirming it!

Your idea of combining mac mini + bmd ultrastudio recorder + scopebox is great! I guess I might do that!

I still have one question, though... so, I would connect the BMD Ultrastudio Recorder trough SDI from the output SDI from my Sony PVM monitor? Sony's PVM 1741 manual says "The signal from the OUT connector does not satisfy the ON-LINE signal specifications.", so that would mean the signal is not trustworthy, right?

If so, how could I connect any scope?

I'm thinking: If I install ScopeBox in my main computer (which is connected to the BMD Ultrastudio Express) couldn't it "read" the signal that it's receiving and do the work? I'm saying that 'cause Ultrastudio Express is both a monitoring and a recording device.

Thanks for your time

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Nov 20, 2012 at 2:37:13 am

The v9 scopes in Resolve are very accurate, they do however show data levels not the traditional video levels that the Ultrascope displays.
I dont recommend running any scope apps on the Resolve computer at the same time as Resolve as resources limits will hurt performance.
The HD-SDI out of the DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+ will normally connect to the grading monitor and look to the UltraScope HD-SDI input.
Peter

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
on Nov 20, 2012 at 4:03:04 am

I have to say that I am impressed by the V9 scopes and would use/trust them. They are a huge improvement from the V8 one's and with a decent monitor GPU they should not cause a slowdown in system performance.

You could get a HD-SDI distribution amp to split the signal to the Sony PVM and the Mini with Scopebox. I am surprised that the PVM would not pass a clean enough signal to feed to your scopes.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Nov 20, 2012 at 4:11:54 am

Pedro, I called Sony when I got my oled about that note in the manual about the sdi loop thru. The signal is fine, it just is not live if you power off the monitor. That's it. I use it all day long. The scopes in resolve using a second display are great. If you already have a thunderbolt laptop, you could run ScopeBox on that with the ultra studio recorder.
I would save my scope money to upgrade to a macpro with cuda cards though if I were you. And use resolve scopes for now. When you get your scope setup you will be dismayed by the fact they look exactly like the resolve ones...

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA
http://www.facebook.com/4kFinish

Return to posts index

Pedro Saboya Burgos
on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:00:52 pm

Thanks for that information, Paul! It's a relief.

Based on what you all said, I think I'll go with Resolve's Scopes for now, then. Save money for some time and buy me a better one.

Thank you all for the answers, this has been very helpful!

Pedro Saboya Burgos
Assistant Video Editor
Video Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]