FORUMS: list search recent posts

Kona + Decklink on same MacPro...Possible?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gustavo Bermudas
Kona + Decklink on same MacPro...Possible?
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:55:48 pm

Have anybody tried to have the two cards connected on a Mac Pro, or is it too conflicting?

Return to posts index

Robert Houllahan
Re: Kona + Decklink on same MacPro...Possible?
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:38:42 pm

Does not work.

-Rob-

Robert Houllahan
Director / Colorist
Cinelab Inc.
http://www.cinelab.com

MAHC-PRO 6-Core 3X GTX285 20Tb SAS Wave Panel Panny 11UK SDI Plasma. Light-Space CMS + Hubble

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 17, 2012 at 2:49:53 pm

Actually it can work if you have two different boot drives, one of which is set up to support the Blackmagic and the other of which is set up for the Kona. But that does require rebooting to go from one to the other, and most likely a re-install of any programs that use either one if they're not on the appropriate drive already.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:38:39 pm

Thats an interesting idea Mike.
Just another partition, cloned from the first one after the system has been set up and then just a Resolve/Decklink setup in one and an Aja/Smoke/Scratch in the other...
I like :)

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.4 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Nov 18, 2012 at 12:03:04 am

Out of complete and utter disappointment in Decklink functionality with Avid, and an equally complete love for Resolve I've attempted this set up. For a variety of reasons, I couldn't physically get both cards into my Mac so I ordered a Cubix expander which also gives me the ability to beef up Resolve with additional GPUs.

Current set up is Kona 3 in Mac Pro, Decklink 3D extreme in Cubix (along with GTX650 and Quadro4000). With the Cubix running I can boot into a "Resolve" partition that has no AJA drivers installed and everything works great. No conflicts at all between the Decklink and the Kona. When I boot into the "Kona" partition which has no Decklink drivers installed there is however a problem. The Kona drivers don't load and the Kona card is not recognized. If I shut down, power off the Cubix and boot again into the "Kona" partition everything DOES work as expected. Speculation from Cubix support so far is that there is a resource allocation problem with the OS and the two video cards and they suggested I try moving the cards to different slots and see what happens.

I haven't had time to try this yet, but for the moment I simply leave the Cubix off unless I'm booting in the "Resolve" partition. It makes the restarts slower because I literally have to power down the mac, plug in the Cubix and cold boot rather than a simple restart to another partition. I hope to test other configurations more next week to see if I can make this work without having to power down each time I switch.

This has been a rather expensive way to fix two things:

1) BMD has been slow to make their Avid drivers work as well as AJA's
2) Resolve only works with BMD hardware

In fact, if BMD had a $2500 version of Resolve that worked with AJA, they would have gotten my $2500 rather than Cubix. But hey, I wouldn't be able to use that smokin' GTX690 either.

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 18, 2012 at 2:27:25 pm

Never put a Decklink card in a Cubix expansion chassis. It will likely lead to hardware conflicts and kernel panics. The Decklink card belongs in the Mac, regardless of where anything else is.

Return to posts index

Chris Tomberlin
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:46:08 am

Just wondering what are you basing such a definitive statement on? The only issue I've experienced so far is that it keeps the kona card from showing up when I boot into that partition. Have you had a bad experience with a decklink card in a Cubix? Even the Cubix site lists compatibility with decklink cards....

Chris Tomberlin
Editor/Compositor/Owner
OutPost Pictures

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 19, 2012 at 2:15:29 pm

We experienced kernel panics when we tried to render DNx175X from Resolve with the Blackmagic card in the Cubix chassis. The problem disappeared when we moved the Decklink back into slot 3 on the Mac (the recommended place for it).

There is a reason that Blackmagic publishes specific recommended slot configurations for Resolve systems, and it's always best to start with one of them and stick to it if at all possible.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]