FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve v9 general lag

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
akim behoud
Resolve v9 general lag
on Nov 15, 2012 at 9:56:41 pm

Peter

When I do my "regular" amazing color correction with only a few nodes ( due to the software limitation), I STILL get a lots of lag with the 3way and curves controls and a lots of bugs.

I paid good money for that shit, and I expect some serious improvement in your next release.

Peace

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Resolve v9 general lag
on Nov 16, 2012 at 7:26:28 am

Dude, behave...

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.4 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:05:48 am

I dont get any lag at all so you might want to look at your own hardware before you blame others.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

akim behoud
on Nov 16, 2012 at 1:23:42 pm

Sascha and Dan.

Am I suppose to shut up and yup rwsbj live with lag and numerous bugs? I am not getting what I paid for and I better complain, wouldn't you?
I followed the BM configuration paper exactly to the letter gfe hur and still the software lag and is buggy.
What is up with the Resolve9 ? 3 x simple serial nodes (no tracker afr tprej) and the 3way/curves control lag ?

With my hardware I can run: FCPX up to 4K no lag , 2013 Autodesk Smoke no lag urea gae, Baselight plugin no lag, PS, AE 6 no lag, NUKEX & Maya no lag.

FRUSTRATING !!!
And thanks for listening

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayden
Re: solve v9 general lag
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:04:09 pm

How about do something useful like post your system specs in detail instead of bitching and crying like an emotional teenager. Maybe then someone would be able to help you.

I too built a machine following the recommended resolve specs and mine works flawlessly.

Peace

Aaron

Return to posts index

akim behoud
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:21:17 pm

Aaron
I did!!!! Read my posts... you ... and no help!!!

BM sale that stuff for many different hardwares and softwares. Mine is not the same as your you ...

Building a Resolve iMac
Suitable for HD grading
3 Ideal for pre-grade, preview and training
3 Realtime processing of HD images
3 Preview, grade and render HD images
3 Grading monitor support via ThunderboltTM SDI capture
DaVinci Resolve on an Early 2011 iMac is fully featured and not limited in any way. The only limitations are those imposed by the disk, GPU and CPU speeds. The noise reduction feature is not available on iMacs as this feature requires an NVIDIA CUDA GPU. As with other Resolve configurations, the Resolve iMac benefits from being used with the DaVinci Resolve Control Surface but can also be used with any of the certified third party control panels.
Using HD720p files with an internal SSD drive or external Thunderbolt disk array, colorists can grade, preview and render in real time with SD and up to HD720p30 images.
All compressed files, including Apple ProRes and RED r3d, are decompressed by the CPU prior to grading by the GPU. If you are mainly working with compressed files, consider using an iMac with faster CPUs so that realtime grading is not impeded by slow CPU processors.
A Thunderbolt disk array provides fast, high capacity disk storage for current iMac computers. Alternatively, replacing the internal hard drive, with the biggest SSD you can afford, will make a substantial improvement to Resolve’s performance.
DAVINCI RESOLVE FOR MAC - CERTIFIED CONFIGURATION GUIDE
Building a Resolve iMac
Parts List
Computer
Apple iMac:
21.5-inch, Mid 2011, 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 or faster
21.5-inch, Mid 2011, 2.8GHz Intel Core i7 or faster or
27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 or faster
27-inch, Mid 2011, 3.4GHz Intel Core i7 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.8 in 64bit mode
RAM: 8GB minimum, 12GB accepable, 16GB or more recommended
Control Panel and Software
DaVinci Resolve Control Surface with USB or
Avid Artist Color, plus
DaVinci Resolve Software for Mac
or
JLCooper ECLIPSE CX, plus DaVinci Resolve Software for Mac or
Tangent Devices WAVE, plus DaVinci Resolve Software for Mac or
Tangent Devices Element Bundle, plus DaVinci Resolve software for Mac
Capture Device - External Thunderbolt
UltraStudio 3D
Storage Options - External Thunderbolt PROMISE Pegasus R4 (4 Bay RAID)
or
PROMISE Pegasus R6 (6 Bay RAID)
Storage Options - Internal
SATA hard disk and/or
solid state drive (SSD)
Optional USB Keyboard
Logickeyboard - Apple DaVinci Resolve

Building a Resolve Mac Pro
Recommended for HD and 2K in realtime
3 Great for HD and 2K in realtime with lots of windows, defocus & blurs 3 Grading monitor support via SDI capture card
3 Internal, external and SAN storage options
Resolve works in SD, HD and 2K in real time and full quality on any certified Mac Pro. Resolve software can easily work in 4K although some older Mac Pro models do not have sufficient performance to work in 4K at full quality and in real time.
Resolve works with any certified 2008 series Mac Pro for uncompressed SD and HD in real time and full quality. When working in HD, set the "Video bit depth" to "8 bit" in the Video Monitoring preferences of the Configuration screen. This has no impact on render or tape quality and all SDI I/O is at full bit depth quality.
While a single GPU for both GUI and image processing is supported, Resolve 9 is optimized for using a dedicated GPU for the GUI and one or more dedicated GPUs for image processing. The specific PCI Express slots used by the GPU cards are determined by the combination of graphics cards used. Please refer to the Slot Configuration tables in this section for guidance.
When using an NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac as the image processing GPU, install the GPU card in slot 2 and the GUI card in slot 1. The GUI card can be: an ATI Radeon HD 5770, an NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 for Mac or an NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac. Please note Apple states the ATI Radeon HD 5770 card requires a Mid 2010 Mac Pro for compatibility despite many customers successfully using this card with 2008 and 2009 series Mac Pros.
If you are using a double width GPU for image processing, you will initially need to configure your Mac with the GUI card in slot one. After configuration move it to slot 2 so the double width card can be installed in slot 1.
The GUI monitor must remain connected to the GUI card.
RED r3d files, up to 2K resolution, can be played back in realtime in full resolution and premium debayer quality with the addition of a RED Rocket card. Only slots 3 or 4 should be used for the RED Rocket which would also prevent the use of a HBA, RAID or capture card.
A certified PCI Express expansion chassis can be used to effectively add more slots to a Mac Pro. The expansion chassis enables the option to install multiple GPU cards and RED Rocket cards without having to sacrifice a HBA, RAID or capture card. The expansion chassis should always connect to slot 2 in the Mac Pro, and any GPU cards should be installed in the expansion chassis. There are literally hundreds of possible slot configurations between the Mac Pro and the PCI Express expansion chassis. We have certified and presented a few configurations in this guide but expect that most slot configurations should work fine.
Building a Resolve Mac Pro
Choosing graphics cards for your Mac Pro
While Resolve 9 and newer support CUDA and OpenCL-based GPUs, CUDA performance is far faster than OpenCL and also supports noise reduction. For these reasons, NVIDIA CUDA is used for the GPUs when building a Resolve Mac Pro.
When using a Mac Pro without a PCI Express expansion chassis, the choice of graphics cards for the Resolve GUI and GPU is limited by the width of the cards, the number of auxiliary PCIe power connections they require and whether new cards will be purchased or existing cards reused.
Slots 1 and 2 in the Mac Pro are most suitable for graphics cards as they provide maximum bandwidth and run the cards at full speed. Slot 1 is double- width and slot 2 is single-width. Some graphics cards only need a single-width PCIe slot whereas others require a double-width slot.
Physical requirements of graphics cards
The Mac Pro provides two auxiliary PCIe power connections. The number of power connections required by a graphics card might be 2, 1 or none.
When choosing GUI and GPU cards for your Mac Pro, ensure the total number of auxiliary PCIe power connections is no more than 2, and that no more than 1 of these cards requires a double-width slot.
The table below shows the slot-width and power connections required for all supported graphics cards.
The ATI Radeon HD 5770 is a standard graphics card with the 2010 and 2012 series of Mac Pro computers.
It is suitable for the GUI to connect your computer monitor. With Resolve 9, you now have the option of using a single GPU to perform both the GUI and image processing functions leaving the other slot free for another card.
Board
Required width of PCIe slots
Auxiliary PCIe power connections
Function
ATI Radeon HD 5770
GUI
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
GUI
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
Image Processing
NVIDIA Quadro 4000
Image Processing or GUI
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800
Image Processing or GUI
NVIDIA GTX 570
Image Processing or GUI
If you use a single GPU for both image proccesing and the GUI we recommend the fastest CUDA GPU available at the time that's supported on the Mac OS X. The GTX 570 is a good benchmark for single GPU systems.

Building a Resolve MacBook Pro
Suitable for HD
3 Ideal for on-set, pre-grade, preview and training
3 Grading monitor support via ThunderboltTM SDI capture
DaVinci Resolve on a MacBook Pro is fully featured and not limited in any way. The only limitations are those imposed by the disk, GPU and CPU speeds. The noise reduction feature requires an NVIDIA CUDA GPU and is not available with AMD/ATI GPUs. As with other Resolve configurations, the Resolve MacBook Pro benefits from being used with the DaVinci Resolve Control Surface but can also be used with any of the certified third party control panels.
The MacBook Pro is ideal for on-set, pre-grade, preview and training. It can provide a preview of material in SD and apply shot by shot ‘look’ grades on HD images so the project file can be exported to a Mac Pro or Linux system.
The Resolve interface requires a high resolution MacBook Pro with either a 15-inch display, and a 1680 x 1050 resolution, or a 17-inch display.
For MacBook Pro 15" with Retina display systems, use 1920 x 1200 resolution.
A Thunderbolt disk array provides fast, high capacity disk storage for current MacBook Pro computers. Alternatively, replacing the internal hard drive, with the biggest SSD you can afford, will make a substantial improvement to Resolve’s performance.
The MacBook Pro contains two GPUs; one for high performance graphics and the other for better battery life. It is essential to enter the Energy Saver preferences, in the System Preferences of Mac OS X, and select the high performance graphics option. Failing to do so will render Resolve unusable. On the mid 2009 model, set the Graphics radio button to “Higher Performance”. On the certified mid 2010 and newer models, disable the “Automatic graphics switching” checkbox.
Set the Graphics radio button to “Higher Performance” on the 17-inch, Mid 2009, MacBook Pro
Disable the “Automatic graphics switching” checkbox on the certified, Mid 2010 and newer MacBook Pro models
Building a Resolve MacBook Pro
Parts List
Computer
Apple MacBook Pro:
17-inch, Mid 2009, 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo or faster or
15-inch, Early 2011, 2.0GHz Intel Core i7
with 1680 x 1050 display resolution or faster
or
17-inch, Early 2011, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 or faster
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7.4 or 10.8 in 64bit mode
or
15" with Retina display, Mid 2012, 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 or faster
RAM: 8 GB minimum, 12GB accepable, 16GB or more recommended
Control Panel and Software
DaVinci Resolve Control Surface with USB or
Avid Artist Color, plus
or
JLCooper ECLIPSE CX, plus
or
Tangent Devices WAVE, plus
or
Tangent Devices Element Bundle, plus DaVinci Resolve software for Mac
Capture Device - External Thunderbolt
UltraStudio 3D
Storage Options - External Thunderbolt
PROMISE Pegasus R4 (4 Bay RAID) or
PROMISE Pegasus R6 (6 Bay RAID)
Storage Options - Internal
SATA hard disk
or
solid state drive (SSD)
Optional USB Keyboard
Logickeyboard - Apple DaVinci Resolve....

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:03:15 pm

Akim, instead of reposting the entire Reslove manual online, how about YOUR exact system specs.
I would estimate that there are thousands of resolve users out there with working systems (including places like CO3 grading movies like Prometheus. in 3D). I don't see them posting "Resolve sucks WAAAAAAAA!)
that being said, one simple thing you can try is to have the qualifier tab selected during playback instead of curves or window tab.
and btw, all those other software products you mentioned have plenty of their own bugs. all software does whether it's free or $50k.

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA
http://www.facebook.com/4kFinish

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayden
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:09:00 pm

Jesus... I didn't ask for a copy paste of the BM config guide. I can get that off the BM website. What's YOUR system specs, os version, driver versions ect...

If you did list that in your huge previos post, no ones going to search through all that to find it.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:33:43 pm

Akim:

Why didn't you repost this?
"I have:
IMac Resolution 2560 x 1440,
OS X 10.8.2,
2.82 GHz Intel Core i7,
HD solid state 250GB,
HD 1TB,
16GB 1333 MHz,
ATI Radeon HD 5750,
Resolve 9.0.3 with USB dongle,
and I run it mostly with 720P 25 footage."

From a post of yours regarding a node graph issue.

To which I responded:
"Also, though you do have a newer system, it still only has the one gfx card so GUI and GPU task are being done by the same card simultaneously, that would account for the lag and seemingly unresponsiveness of the software."

Don't ask for help if you're not going to listen. If your specs have changed since the above post, great. But with out actual information, there is nothing that anyone can do to help, and no one will help you if you post like this. It's just rude and impolite.

Return to posts index

Aaron Hayden
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:54:48 pm

Thank you Eric.

Akim, try Resolve on a system with a GUI gfx card and a dedicated GPU gfx card. Resolve always runs sluggish with a single gfx card. BM had been very upfront about that fact in all their configuration guides.

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Nov 16, 2012 at 7:07:06 pm

oh for cryin' out loud Akim. you don't even have a cuda card. what do you expect?

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA
http://www.facebook.com/4kFinish

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:06:54 pm

If the iMac experience was as good as the Mac Pro experience in Resolve, do you think anyone would spend the difference? The system is only as strong it's weakest link. Compare the iMac GFX card to the nVidia 5770, base Mac Pro GFX card and your question will be answered (that card by the way, is not even close to recommended for use as a GUI/GPU card). Not all systems are created equal. I could, if I were so inclined, run FCP 7 on a minimum spec machine and it would "run", but it would not compare to an FCP 7 bay set up as an Online/Finishing machine.

Return to posts index

akim behoud
on Nov 16, 2012 at 9:30:08 pm

Eric

I know you mean good, I can tell.

But for me the primary function of the resolve is the 3way/curves controls, they are very basic controls and should work without lag Period, especially with a fully loaded IMAC. FCPX, Baselight, Nuke, AE, PS, an any other solid application/plugin do it with no lag. Even the old Shake and Apple Color have no lag on my system.

PLEASE NOTICE I am not having any problem with the power windows/tracker/HD playback/rendering/Galery, only the 3way/curves lag and cursor bugs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]