FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro VS Macbook Pro

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bristol cruz
Mac Pro VS Macbook Pro
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:23:44 pm

Hi!

When viewing the same film on a Mac Pro I have noticed that it is much darker than on a Macbook Pro.

I have tested this on several machines and they are all set up with the same gamma and luma levels of the screens. They are adjusted identically and in the same room.

Is there a good explanation for this? My first thought was that the Mac Pro show everything in 0-255, while the Macbook Pro show everything in 16-235.
I have tested in a lot of softwares.

BC

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Mac Pro VS Macbook Pro
on Nov 14, 2012 at 3:48:11 pm

There's a lot more factors involved. What monitor are you using with the Mac Pro? What is feeding the monitor it's signal? (Graphics card or video I/O card?).

It's very likely that a MacPro with a monitor will look different to a MacBook pro. It's inherent in the screens being different and there's loads of factors to consider beyond that.

Check the image via proper I/O interface, be it a Blackmagic Decklink (PCIe card or thunderbolt or even USB3 I believe) or AJA solution (with supported software.

Return to posts index

bristol cruz
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:53:39 pm

Hi Toby,

Im talking about luma differences between OS / Graphic cards. Not external monitoring.

BC

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:17:42 pm

Also the same monitor?

What OS's are on the macs?

Return to posts index

bristol cruz
on Nov 15, 2012 at 10:35:29 am

Hi,