FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with EDL Preconform in Resolve 9

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Problem with EDL Preconform in Resolve 9
on Nov 13, 2012 at 6:21:41 pm

Having some trouble bringing in an EDL. Can someone let me know what I might be missing here.

Pretty basic situation here. I have a flattened quicktime file and an EDL. Both from Final Cut 7. I just want to use the EDL to 'notch' the Quicktime. Pretty straightforward I think. Read through the manual to make sure I was on the right track.

Brought the QT into media pool, and imported the EDL in the conform page (also tried the import preconform EDL option too, but the manual says to do the regular EDL import option). Timeline comes in, but all the clips are red and offline. That's no good. One question. How does the conform page know what media to use when you import an EDL? I'm not looking for it to 'relink' to source media. I just want to use the EDL to 'notch' the QT file.

I am doing this in Windows Resolve 9. As a test, we did the exact same thing on a Mac Resolve 8 system and it worked perfectly. Timeline had all the cut points, and all the media was online and ready to grade.

Did this change with Resolve 9? Is it a bug? Can anyone help with this seemingly basic issue (should I post this in the basics forum?).

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Problem with EDL Preconform in Resolve 9
on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:34:06 pm

try turning off "assist using reel names" in conform options

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA
http://www.facebook.com/4kFinish

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:24:34 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the suggestion. That did the trick. Got the timeline loaded and ready to grade.

I think the problem is that the user manual is actually incorrect about this point. It says to import the EDL using the 'Import AAF/XML/EDL' command. But that doesn't work (tries to link to source media). When I used the 'Import Preconformed EDL' it worked.

Anyone know how to let Blackmagic know where the manual is wrong? I actually found another error in the manaul about linking an audio chase track to a timeline (It says to choose 'Link Audio Chase Track' option.. but that option does not exsist in Resolve 9). I assume we would not contact Alexis directly right?

Thanks again for your help on this issue.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:33:04 pm

Manual has many mistakes which are mostly paragraphs copy and pasted from previous editions and not updated to current software. Technical writing is a bitch and very difficult to manage revisions nod changes.
With the price they're selling this software for there likely is no budget for intensive copy editing. Guess we're lucky to have what we do and just try to keep up on forums

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA
http://www.facebook.com/4kFinish

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:47:46 am

Paul,

I agree the existing manual is a great resource... and MUCH better than the one for Resolve 7 or Resolve 8. I guess I thought that one of the industry leading color grading systems would have a manual that is current and without any obvious errors.

Most of the other professional software packages I use have a correct and complete user manual (thinking about Avid, Smoke, and Final Cut). Maybe Blackmagic needs to allocate more resources to this professional tool. (we are still waiting for a keyboard shortcut list right? (why did they change them from Resolve 8 I just don't know)).

-Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Nov 15, 2012 at 12:39:04 pm

If you find problems with the manual i'm happy to take to details. Please email to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign (dot) com

Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Nov 16, 2012 at 1:46:12 am

Thanks Peter. I figured you guys would want to know about any errors and correct them with the next revision. I'll send you into on the two areas where I found incorrect information.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Saul Budd
on Nov 23, 2013 at 9:36:10 am

Just wanted to add to this thread, as I was struggling with an EDL pre-conform and found my problem was slightly different.

Your mixdown MXFs start timecode must match the start timecode of the EDL ... seems obvious enough, but my mixdown was defaulting to a start timecode of 00:00:00:00, whilst the EDL was defaulting to the sequence timecode (10:00:00:00 in this case).

The timecode of your MXF can be reassigned within Resolve by right clicking on the mxf in the Media Pool and selecting "Clip Attributes".

It may also work to change the project setting from timecode based on embedded timecode to frame count (sorry, a bit vague, this if from memory), but at that stage of the night I just wanted to get it working go home!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]