FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony OLED PVM-2541 owners thread

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby Tomkins
Sony OLED PVM-2541 owners thread
on Nov 11, 2012 at 7:15:21 pm

Hi all,

I've heard a lot of conflicting things about this monitor recently. From drifting red channel to crushed blacks and panel degradation. I'm looking for a reference monitor sub £3.5k and want to see if the 2541 is the right choice over a broadcast LCD say.

I understand the black is black and the argument has been made that it is too dark as most displays in the 'real world' can't replicate it. So with this issue aside/ignored, what have been your experiences? How have you calibrated/profiled the display and how (if at all) has it drifted?

Any advice would be appreciated, real world information on these things can be hard to come by?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Sony OLED PVM-2541 owners thread
on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:20:23 pm

it's all true ... but it's still impressive .
Don't use it as a ref, use it to stun Mr. Hotshotseenitallproducer

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Nov 11, 2012 at 8:35:45 pm

Ha! That's what is wrong with film post! It's all about appearances at the high end! (-;

Also, if I'm spending £3,500 on essentially a client monitor Sascha what do you expect me to have as a ref!? (lol, imagine a grading suite with a BVM OLED for ref and a PVM OLED for clients, that would surely end the 'I like the way it looks on this one for this shot, can we make it look like that on the other one' client cliche.

I believe there are diminishing returns in these monitors. Can a human really see the difference between a calibrated PVM/grade 2 monitor and a Dolby PRM-4200 from a real world distance? I'm not so sure. Hell loads of places for broadcast and some lower end post houses are using grade 2 Plasmas as reference monitors! Where do draw the line at to what is accebtable?

My hunt for a confidence monitor (ideally a cheaper PVM/Grade 2 with proper CMS calibration) within a decent budget has driven me to so many different opinions and marketing BS that I'm now totally lost in this dizzying world of choice.

I'm leaning toward the setup that Juan Salvo has mentioned he uses, a client plasma and an OLED. As this is a major investment for me as a freelancer I don't want to buy something that will drift to a point of useless in a couple years. I want atleast 3 years of use from it! Can the OLED do that?

So many considerations!

Return to posts index

Marcus Herrick
on Nov 11, 2012 at 9:57:07 pm

I've been using a PVM-2541 for grading network & cable shows since January. I had Sony calibrate it and it matches my standard def BVM really well (with obviously better blacks). I have no issues with it in terms of colour. I find the inter-field mode is not great for checking sync. But other than that it's been flawless. Even the freelance colourists we have in from time to time have loved it (one even went and bought his own).

Having used owned a dreamcolor and used FSI, JVC & TV logic monitors, I won't be changing from my OLED anytime soon.

Marcus Herrick
Freelance Editor / Grader

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 11, 2012 at 11:48:26 pm

We also use OLED PVM for reference and Panasonic BT300 Plasmas for clients. Works fine for us.

Stig

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:28:19 am

Yes, thats the thing.
You can only have ONE person looking at it.
A group of people is much better served with a "properly adjusted" Plasma.
The viewing angle is so small on the OLED, it only makes sense for yourself or a guy in a chair bolted to the floor.
And no one can say anything today about the lifespan of an organic product.
Right now, I feel I am better of with a properly calibrated EIZO CG245 and the Plasma mentioned before.
Plus an Ultrscope

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.0.4 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage producer
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Jun 8, 2013 at 11:27:04 am

Hi Toby,

May I ask what you ended up with buying and why?

I'm currently researching my options for a new monitor.

Thanks
Pepo

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]