DPX After Effects

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stig olsen
DPX After Effects
on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:56:51 pm

Hi,

I guess I need a proper set up for AE.
The file is rendered DPX 10 bit full range but AE show deeper black. The color management tools is turned of. Since Davinci work full range internally it should match pretty accurate shouldnt it?

Same computer screen, same machine.

Stig

Return to posts index

stig olsen
Re: DPX After Effects
on Nov 7, 2012 at 4:59:07 pm

I mean same computer screens, but not the same machine - as they are linked with a cubix box that let me switch between those two.
Both are Mac and the DPX is the same.

If it is not the color management system in AE, is it possible that it could be a different contrast in OS?

Stig

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Nov 7, 2012 at 5:10:16 pm

I think OS is unlikely to be the problem, although the calibration profile in OSX could cause a difference. Is it set to something generic or did you create it with a probe?

Is 'full range' explicitly selected in Resolve? Auto can sometimes confuse the issue. Also, is 'preserve RGB' selected in the per-clip interpretation settings in AE?

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:23:14 pm

OS is not adjusted, i didnt think that it was possible.

Full range is selected in Resolve and "preserve RGB" is also selected in AE.
It is the exact same DPX. On the Mac with AE I have also tried the DPX in other programs and it also looks exactly as dark as in AE.

Could it be the graphic cards?

Stig

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:42:12 pm

It's definitely possible that the difference is in the two OS' and the two graphics cards. You can solve this with external calibration. I recommend either consulting a professional (I do this, but am located in NYC...), or look into one of the excellent lower cost probes from x-rite. I use the Klein K-10 probe myself, but it's a lot more expensive.

The Post Collective

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 7, 2012 at 9:11:56 pm

Ok. I thought the probes only work for calibrating the monitors and computer screens. In this case Im using the same monitor and computer screens on both Macs, linked with Cubix. Stig

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Nov 7, 2012 at 9:19:44 pm

I believe the xrite comes with software to write a color profile (icc?) in OSX that can be loaded via system settings. I'm not on a mac right now so not sure of the exact procedure, but I've done it before.

JT

The Post Collective

Return to posts index

stig olsen
on Nov 9, 2012 at 2:41:09 pm

Ok thank you. I will check that out!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]