FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidating Alexa and Sony files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jake blackstone
Consolidating Alexa and Sony files
on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:14:28 am

Does anyone knows, may be Peter or Rohit, if there is a plan to be able to consolidate and cut down RAW Alexa and Sony files, like Red RAW?
Not being able to cut down those huge files will have very detrimental effect on Remote Grading.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Consolidating Alexa and Sony files
on Nov 5, 2012 at 8:28:22 am

Yep, I second that...one of my major wishes for a future version.
We tried to do something for RED media a couple of years ago and they sent over their lawyers .
So there might be more to it than just the technical side.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:22:50 pm

Yeah, that mess was sorted out by now. Resolve 9 does R3D cut downs and consolidation perfectly. No need to use RCX anymore. I imagine Arri and Sony cut downs should be much easier to do, as their RAW files are not encrypted, like R3D.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Nov 5, 2012 at 9:30:57 pm

Actually the R3D stuff is possible because RED added that function into the SDK. Would be nice if ARRI and Sony would do similar. Canon and BMDCC and Aaton are much easier as they record to image sequences... you could even do that manually.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Most
on Nov 6, 2012 at 12:34:33 am

You don't cut down Arri Raw files. They are frame sequences, not wrapped movie files. You copy only the files for the frames that you need, just like you would DPX sequences. Sony's RAW files are, of course, MXF files, and they also involve compression. So they would need to expose a function to do that. Right now I don't know of any.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Nov 6, 2012 at 4:29:06 am

My original point was to be able to cut down and consolidate ARRI and Sony RAW files in Resolve in order to be able to send files to a remote location for remote grading. So, if ARRI records discreet frames, great. But I need the ability to export only conformed frames with handles, based on EDL, XML or AAF automatically, not manually. As far as MXF wrapping goes, I don't see Avid not being able to cut down MXF files, even if they are not exactly the same type.
Nevertheless, that was the whole point of asking, if BM was planning to implement this function, not if it is already been done.

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Nov 6, 2012 at 6:24:12 am

It's a good idea Jake and we will look into it for the future. Not sure if or when at this time.
Peter

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 6, 2012 at 2:42:51 pm

I've done exactly what you're asking, using DaVinci Resolve. For a feature I was consulting for, the edit happened in India (Mumbai), and the grading in NY. We 'consolidated' the Apple ProRes4444 clips with 12 frame handles, using Resolve and uploaded them to NY.

And the few scenes that were shot on ArriRAW, we selectively copied .ari sequences with handles and uploaded those. I had made a script to parse .ari file sequences (from the original sequences) using an EDL. Selective copy because Resolve (or any other software for that matter) can't export ArriRAW files.

It all worked fine.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Nov 6, 2012 at 7:36:48 pm

Thank you Peter for your response. Yes, I'm hoping for a more unified media consolidation approach instead of a need for some kind of home made solutions.
Neil. We do this kind of consolidation with Alexa Prores on just about every remote grading job. So far not a single client had used ARRI RAW. I'm just hoping, that once that happens, we'll be able to accommodate those clients as well as F55/F5 clients.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Nov 7, 2012 at 7:24:28 am

Same here, and if you stumble over Arri Raw, just make a prores out of it for the remote.
There is nothing to be gained but sharpness from the raw imho.

So far we are still using Scratch for the Consolidating from external disks to the main storage.
An XMl or EDL based approach would be amazing that does not require to load the whole media into any application first.
Truncating clips is a secondary action for me.
First I would like to be able to just sort it all in used and unused and then physically join all the used ones into one location.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Nov 7, 2012 at 10:33:49 pm

Yes, I guess Prores 444 route is not so bad. I forgot, that 2K Prores can be created, if it is 2K ARRI RAW. In a pinch, it can be used with Sony too. Good suggestion, thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]