FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID confusion

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross Wilson
RAID confusion
on Nov 4, 2012 at 12:31:12 am

I think I've arrived at a warped sense of what's going on under the hood of my machine whilst grading in Resolve and I wonder if anyone can clear a few things up for me.

I'm playing back 12Bit 4:4:4 1080p files in DNG and getting 15-20fps non graded (aiming for 25). I'm using a 2008 Mac Pro with 2 graphics cards, standard 5770 and the Quadro 4000.

I was under the impression thanks to the Black Magic Speed Test app that my hard drive was the thing stopping me getting full speed playback. It's 180 MB/s raid 0. The speed tests says I should get 15fps. I've just been informed however that with these files which are 3.2 MB in sizes per frame I only need 80MB/s for realtime play back and that it's actually my processor that's holding me back as it can't debayer the images fast enough.

Am I right to assume then that the speed test software doesn't account for the codec being used? And that getting a faster raid is not going to help me in this situation? In which case another Cuda card or computer with faster CPU wpuld be a wiser investment?

If anyone could help set me straight on this issue I'd be really grateful.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: RAID confusion
on Nov 4, 2012 at 6:58:44 pm

Yes...2012 MacPro, ditch the ATI, use the 4000 for the UI and get either a 570 or the upcoming Quadro for internal power.
But your first concern is your (almost) 5 years old computer.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Ross Wilson
on Nov 5, 2012 at 10:23:45 am

Well I was about to drop £2000 on a new RAID so that'll be going towards the mac pro now, cheers!

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Nov 5, 2012 at 11:37:23 am

I paid like 500$ for my 4x WD Black caviar internal Raid
8 TB in Raid 0 gives +-500 mb/s read and write.
I also have an external 8 TB Raid 5 as backup over eSata writing with 140 mb/s.
So all in all 1500 bucks and you can run fast AND save on a home office system.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]