FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP XML speed change issues. 9.0.3

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Huson
FCP XML speed change issues. 9.0.3
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:52:57 am

I've been running resolve mostly in 'tape to tape' style - rendering out a single-strand QT, then cutting it apart with scene detect. This is for a show that uses lots of speed-ramping, which didn't work well, or at all, in v8.

This week I did a little test run using XML and the original (recaptured with handles, actually) media, and it seemed to work fine-so I graded an entire episode. Checking playback after rendering the graphics and speed ramps back in, I noticed some weird motion. Lots of shots that were slightly off speed in the timeline, actually rendered funny out of resolve- as if played back slightly off speed and then rendered, ( rather than rendering at the same speed as they were in the source (23.98.), then having speed changes added back in FCP through XML.). If I check the graded shots directly in QT player, they do, indeed, appear to have a slight speed change rendered in- they play jerky. This is not on all the shots- only on some. Particularly on shots that are running only a LITTLE off speed in the FCP cut.

Is there a setting I'm missing? Has anyone else seen this problem? I need resolve only to simulate the speed changes during grading, then render out 23.98 frame-for-frame, and pass back the speed change info through xml. There are definitely motion changes happening in the render that are unacceptable.

Also, XML is changing some transition effects- I thought resolve was supposed to keep them and pass them back through xml even when it can't recreate them. And, the motion type isn't passed through XML, either: frame-blending is switched off on the return XML regardless of how it's set in the outgoing XML.

Comments and advice appreciated. (I'm not an FCP 7 fan- but I'm not the one choosing the editing software, so the advice to 'switch to avid or PP' won't help.)

Thanks in advance-

GH

Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com
http://www.secretHQ.com


Return to posts index

Greg Huson
Re: FCP XML speed change issues. 9.0.3
on Nov 5, 2012 at 5:42:43 pm

Thanks to Rohit for help

davincihelp@blackmagicdesign.com

Turns out I had my project default set to 24fps when I imported the 23.98 xml. After importing, I switched project to 23.98.

Don't do that. Make sure your project is set to the correct frame rate before importing your xml.

My problem actually had nothing to do with speed changes - Resolve 'simulated' those just fine. My problem was the rendering 24/23.98- caused a little 'hiccup' in the picture.

Greg Huson
Secret Headquarters, Inc
Greg (at) SecretHQ.com
http://www.secretHQ.com


Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]