FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issue linking grades after consolidating material

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tina Hedegaard
Issue linking grades after consolidating material
on Nov 1, 2012 at 5:30:52 pm

Hi

I have this issue linking grades in DaVinci.

We've just finished the latest feature and I've been in charge of the onlining process.
We have the same issue on a feature shot on Arri Alexa. But this case is based on the feature shot on RED ONE MX.

Online workflow

To get the media ready for Resolve I consolidated it using this workflow
Avid Media Composer - EDL - Redcine X - Trim R3D with 8 frames handles
I did this so I did not use so much space on the RED-media. In this case All of the RAW RED was 8 TB, and after consolidating it was only 250 GB.
I thought it was pretty nice, and then I used this workflow to online in DaVinci.
Final cut i Avid Media Composer - AAF - DaVinci Resolve 9.0.3

And now the issue:
In DaVinci since each clip is independent DaVinci cant link clips from same reel. Our colorist think this is very annoying since he has to do a lot more grading.

Does any of you have a solution, so that I don't have to either find space to 8 TB or manually have to find each clip used in the feature.

I thought of something like
- In the conform: Being able to link the clips from same "clip with same reel"
- A nice little script to do the hard work

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tina Hedegaard
Editor | Assisting Editor
Final Cut Pro 7 | Media Composer 5.5.3/6.0.1.1
Mac OS 10.6.8| Mac OS 10.7.4

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
Re: Issue linking grades after consolidating material
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:53:54 pm

have you tried using resolves trim r3d command instead?

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Nov 1, 2012 at 7:06:47 pm

Hey Paul, thanks for the answer.

No I haven't tried the Trim R3D in Resolve. I'll do a test on monday when I'm back at work.

The reason why I used Redcine was because I find that Resolve is quite unstable when I load so many TB in the mediapool. And right now the RAW RED is on a network shared (via ethernet 1Gbps) raid.

Just af few specs of the grading suite:
Intel 2.6 GHz
6-core xeon
32 GB RAM
RED-ROCKET
Caldigit- HDPRO 8TB
Nvidia GT-120
Geforce GTX 680
Nvidia Quadro4000
Mac Os X 10.8.2
DaVinci Resolve 9.0.2 - (right now I am testing on DaVinci Lite 9,0.3 in another suite)

Cheers

Tina Hedegaard

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:24:10 am

Hi Tina, could you confirm what your hardware config is, the list you have above does not make sense? Normally you would have a GT120 or Q4000 for UI and a GTX680 for image processing, not all three.

Also, re the XML and trim workflow. The XML should reflect the edit and the clips used in the edit. If you modify the clips after the XML is made, i.e. trim them, then the XML is not valid any more.

Have another try with trim on 9.0.3. It may well be more stable than last time you tried it.
Peter

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Nov 8, 2012 at 7:57:40 am

Hi again

I back at the online-process.
@ Peter: I do have all three, I have a cubrix box to extend the PCI-card

@Paul: I did a test with R3D-trim in DaVinci, and it seem that it did what I wanted, so I restarted the conform process, loaded all the RAW-material into the mediapool, imported an AAF from Avid. I seems like Resolve was not able to relink the clips. Most of the clips were random picked, and I had to force conform a lot. I tried to import in different ways, AAF, EDL, tried different patterns in the settings, nothing worked. I do have an idea that it is because of the structure the RAW- material is in - I mean folderstructure - that I can not change now, then the VFX-department would come after me. That is up for test in the future.

So the status now is, I have a fully conformed timeline, and now I am ready to trim the R3D, but each time I try, DaVinci is not making any new clips, only the folder they should be in.
I have tried marking all of the timeline, marking just one track, marking just 10 minutes..same results.

Do any of you have any solution?

Cheers

Tina Hedegaard

Return to posts index

Tina Hedegaard
on Nov 8, 2012 at 9:03:50 am

The funny things is that it helps to write the issue, because a few minutes later I found the solution.
In the conform page - under media pool I had written something in the search field, when I deleted that i worked perfectly - or DaVinci is actually doing something now.
I do not want to jinx it, I am at clip 106 out of 601. But I think it will work.

Cheers

Tina Hedegaard

Return to posts index

Chad Smith
on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:37:34 pm

Hi Peter -I tried this yesterday and found that Resolve did in fact generate new R3D files. However it seemed that Resolve would look at the clips used and start to generate the new clip from the in point of the first clip used and end at the out of the last section of that clip in the cut. Meaning if I used shot A four times in the cut (music video type shoot with long takes and many different shots) it would start at the first clip used from shot A and end with the last clip of shot A. So instead of a 20gb file it would be 9gb lets say.

What I am looking for is a way to trim the R3D files so that all the clips are discreet when I bring them into Resolve 9. Was able to get halfway there with Redcine-X, however I am unable to find the FCP XML that should be generated from the trim function, relinking to the new trimmed files. When I select a clip in the sequence that was trimmed it is still pointing back to the original R3D. Anyone know how I can find the FCP XML form Redcine :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]