FORUMS: list search recent posts

Da Vinci -> Avid: MediaTool (MXF) trouble

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Ortu
Da Vinci -> Avid: MediaTool (MXF) trouble
on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:59:36 am

Hello to all. This is my first post and finally i found a place where problems have solutions (most of the times).

Ok, here's my problem (it is driving me crazy). I'll put here step by step and I hope to get an answer and also help someone else with my same problem.

Application used: Media Composer 6.5 & DaVinci Resolve 9

1 - I export the .AAF from an Avid Sequenze(DNxHD) and all goes fine
2 - I import the sequence in Da Vinci and it is all perfect
3 - Color correction & grading time, all fine
4 - Export time. I use the AAF Avid RoundTrip, put the destination folder in MXF/1, it renders and all fine.
5 - Coming back on Avid and I prepare a new BIN for the "graded footage"
6 - Open up the Media Tool, search and find the project-name made in DaVinci for the grading
7 - It loads and............... NOTHING APPEARS!!!!!
8 - I check the files manually and everything is there, simply media-tool doesn't see them.
9 - If i take the files by hand it's ok, i put on the tape name, re-link to the new footage and it's ok.

......but, Why media tool doesn't work? Is there something i have to know? I tried all the combinations, checking all the boxes etc., but nothing. Seems that media tool is blind.

Does someone had my same problem? Is there any solution?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Roberto

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: Da Vinci -> Avid: MediaTool (MXF) trouble
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:23:20 pm

It's been a while since I did the roundtripping with Avid, but shouldn't you also export the AAF from Davinci back to Avid?

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Roberto Ortu
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:49:28 pm

Yes, i use the DaVinci option in rendering, called "AAF Avid roundtrip" that exports in .MXF and sets all the parameters to work in Avid. The problem is about the "Media Tool" that simply doesn't see the files in the folder (MXF/1). The fact is that it can't find also the original files that Avid made (by cutting, saving, fading... etc...).

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Nov 2, 2012 at 11:01:32 am

Have you tried to delete the database files in the Avid Mediafiles folder? Sometimes rebuilding those files will make the Avid see them.

But I still think your missing one step, the step of exporting an AAF from davinci to Avid as described in the manual on page 192.:

9. After rendering is complete, open the Conform page, make sure the timeline you rendered is still selected, and do one of the following, depending on whether you made editorial changes to the timeline in the Conform page:
> If you didn’t make any editing changes to the timeline you imported, then choose File > Save XML/AAF, and choose “AAF” from the Format pop-up menu. This exports all audio and effects using data from the original AAF file that was exported from Media Composer, regardless of whether or not they’re supported in Resolve.
> If you did make editing changes to the timeline you imported, then you need to Right-click the timeline you want to export in the Timelines list and choose Export > Generate New AAF. This option creates a brand new AAF file that preserves your editorial changes, but audio and effects that are not supported in DaVinci Resolve are discarded.
10. If you like, enter a new title for the sequence. By default, the exported file is named identically to the original, but with the suffix (Resolve) appended.
11. ClickSave.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

Roberto Ortu
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:18:10 pm

Thanks a lot, it's a "different" method but actually it works. I'll let you know if it's ok with something more complex. Thank you again :D
Rob

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Nov 2, 2012 at 6:35:25 pm

The manual also says to put the exported files in a different folder inside the mxf folder ie. Mxf/2/. Maybe that could help as well.

Glad to hear its working now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]