FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to trim Arri RAW files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Hankewycz
How to trim Arri RAW files
on Oct 29, 2012 at 8:02:25 pm

I need a way to trim Arri RAW files. I have a film that was shot on Arri RAW that I'm going to grade and I would love to be able to copy over only the footage I need to my SAN instead of all the footage. Anyone have any ideas?
Thank you,

roman hankewycz
harbor picture company // colorist

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
Re: How to trim Arri RAW files
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:54:54 pm

Resolve v9 does media consolidation very well. I tested it with Red material and it works very well. Don't know about ARRI RAW, but just try it. It's in the manual.

Return to posts index

Roman Hankewycz
on Oct 31, 2012 at 11:51:38 pm

Yup, the "trim RED clips" feature in resolve 9 is one of the most powerful features in the update but that function doesn't work with Arri RAW files. Also the "copy" command doesn't work with Arri RAW files.

Can't find a solution for this anywhere which is very surprising.

Thanks,

roman hankewycz
harbor picture company // colorist

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 6, 2012 at 3:03:53 pm

For a feature I was consulting for, the edit happened in one city, and the grading in another, many thousands of kms away. We 'consolidated' the Apple ProRes4444 clips with 12 frame handles, using Resolve and uploaded them.

For the few scenes that were shot on ArriRAW, we copied .ari sequences with handles and uploaded those. I had made a script to parse .ari file sequences (from the original sequences) using an EDL. Selective copy because Resolve (or any other software for that matter) can't export ArriRAW files.

It all worked fine.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Ben Mills
on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:17:44 pm

Hi Neil,

I dont suppose you still have that script at all do you? I'm looking to do the same sort of thing.

Best,

Ben

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:01:02 pm

I didn't get down to making it into a 'script' or some kind of an automated 'gather'. I do have a working 'calculator' which enables me to define frame ranges to copy. then I get some interns to manually copy it over to a single folder and make Resolve conform to that folder.

You can mail me at neil at sadwelkar dot com and we could figure out a way to do this for you remotely or maybe I will get down to scripting it if time permits.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Jd Vandenberghe
on Jul 3, 2013 at 5:41:46 pm

I would suggest to use Resolve to locally conform the ARRIRAW files from the editing's software EDL. Then you can use Resolve to export 16bit DPX and send that sequence to the grading suite.

Best,

JD

JD Vandenberghe
Workflow Project Manager
ARRI, Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]