FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.0.6/Resolve 9.0.3 Lite Problem

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamal Watts
FCP X 10.0.6/Resolve 9.0.3 Lite Problem
on Oct 27, 2012 at 2:38:32 pm

Hello, having a problem with FCP X 10.0.6 and Resolve 9.0.3 Lite.

I have an ATI 2600 in slot two and an nVidia GTX 470 in slot one. I cannot have FCP X and Resolve open at the same time if I have my monitor plugged into the GTX, Resolve will crash on login. However, if I have the monitor plugged into the ATI as if I was only using Resolve then everything is fine.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Marano
Re: FCP X 10.0.6/Resolve 9.0.3 Lite Problem
on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:05:16 pm

Then plug your monitors in the ATI.

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

Jamal Watts
on Oct 27, 2012 at 5:31:18 pm

Right, I get that. That is what I do when I know I'm going to be in Resolve for a while. But I plug my monitors into the GTX when I'm in FCP X or Motion because the playback is better. However, if I happen to open Resolve while being plugged in the GTX it crashes. So, yes, there is a workaround but I'm sure that Resolve shouldn't crash because of this either.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Marano
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:22:06 pm

Well, the ATI 2600 is not supported by Resolve so when you plug onto the NVidia it tries to use the ATI as GPU and crashes. It does the same on the Macbook Pro when you don't force to the NVidia GPU.

Mathieu Marano
offline/online editor - motion graphics - Post-prod director - DaVinci Resolve operator
http://www.ilovehue.net

Administrator of the Montreal Final Cut User Group
http://www.finalcutmtl.org

Return to posts index

Jamal Watts
on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:20:45 pm

Not sure about that in my case because this only happens when FCP X is open. Meaning that I can open Resolve regardless of which card I'm plugged into if FCP X is closed. It is only when I have FCP X open, plugged into the GTX, and then try to open Resolve does Resolve crash on login.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:37:36 pm

You have two problems:

1) the 2600 is an underpowered ATI card which is not spec'ed for Resolve as a GPU. Resolve generally only allows NVIDIA cards as GPUs. You can use ATI cards for GUI, but to my knowledge, in a Mac Pro, you can't use an ATI Card as a GPU. DaVinci suggests that you have 2 cards: 1 for GUI (where your monitors are plugged in) and 2nd for GPU, which you leave alone.

2) As far as I know, Resolve and FCP X don't handshake well regarding which program controls the Grading Monitor when it comes to swapping back and forth if both apps are open. I always quit one before I open the other. That way I'm sure that the right app has control of the monitor.

Return to posts index

Jamal Watts
on Oct 31, 2012 at 1:57:38 am

Paul,

1. Yep, I am aware of this. When I intend to be in Resolve for a while I use the ATI as the GUI and the GTX as the GPU. Everything is fine when I run like this. Both can be open at the same time in this config. Crashes only happen when I'm plugged into the GTX, have FCP X open, and then try to open Resolve.

2. Hmm, now this may be the answer that I was looking for. However, the crashing only started happening with FCP X 10.0.6. With older versions I was able have FCP X and Resolve open while plugged into the GTX. Perhaps it is because Apple did some GPU optimization with 10.0.6 this time around.

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Oct 31, 2012 at 2:57:11 am

James,

As far as I know, there's no "force" sync with the monitor command in FCPX like there was in FCP7. And the same goes for Resolve, so whatever app opened first may have control of monitor. This is generally the behavior I've experienced.

This is true when I switch between FCPX and AfterEffects (I'm using a BM Decklink SDI hooked to a Dreamcolor). If I open FCPX and view something on the monitor, and then open After Effects, the AE won't show up on the monitor until I quit FCPX. Then AE shows up on the monitor automatically. If I reopen FCPX, FCPX grabs control of the monitor again.

I don't think there's any manual way to control this behavior.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]