FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve - Flame workflow.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Masters
Resolve - Flame workflow.
on Oct 21, 2012 at 10:07:46 pm

I am a Flame guy. I do not know much about Resolve.

I am considering a workflow and am wondering if it is: Possible. Optimal.

- Flat pass footage is graded in Resolve.
- Color grade information (3DL or what have you) is passed to Flame.
- In Flame, 3DL, or other LUT's can be loaded and applied to same flat pass footage.
- If color is revised in Resolve, the color grade information can be updated.

no colored files are passed back and forth, just information. Identical flat pass files live on each system: Flame and Resolve.

Doable?
Optimal?
Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
Re: Resolve - Flame workflow.
on Oct 21, 2012 at 10:20:13 pm

Could be done but its quite complex. CDL is very limiting and would not give you enough control for a heavy client attended grade session and sending lut's back and forward has the same issue of being limited to no windows etc...

What I do is grade everything as normal, render out the clips in source mode. Flame guys conform it from XML/AAF but use my graded renders instead of source clips. They also soft link to my renders so if I do change anything the changes automatically flow through the pipeline thanks to the soft link.

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
Re: Resolve - Flame workflow.
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:58:48 pm

Not doable in any efficient way. CDL are not anywhere near sufficient for this, so you'd have to at least pass cube luts back and forth. Without some measure of custom development this would mean exporting a lut per grade from Resolve, converting that to a flame compatible lut, and then ignoring anything that had a window or animation keyframe or key or whatever. Seems like quite a headache for something so minimally functional.

JT

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: solve - Flame workflow.
on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:50:55 am

Even if you accept the limits of what can be passed in a LUT or CDL you're dealing with a lot of numbers being written and read and a lot room for variance with LUT writing and reading. For CDL unless you have systems supporting Open Color io you are going to have variances as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]