FORUMS: list search recent posts

Loading in 20minute reel or full 120minute film for Media pool

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christian Stoehr
Loading in 20minute reel or full 120minute film for Media pool
on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:58:38 pm

I am getting ready to load in my first film project, and wanted to ask if you guys load in the whole media pool of a full length feature, and then all the 20 minute reel timelines via XML, or do you start a new DaVinci project for each reel separately to keep the media pool smaller.
Seems like the 1st option would be what I want, I am just wondering if it adds more strain on the system or not.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Loading in 20minute reel or full 120minute film for Media pool
on Oct 21, 2012 at 5:22:15 pm

Version 8 would suffer the dreaded Out of Memory warning if the Media Pool got too big, I haven't seen it in V9 and just finished a 72 minute feature all-in-one-timeline. Burning the BluRays as this is written.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Christian Stoehr
on Oct 21, 2012 at 5:35:23 pm

Thanks, what are your system specs, I am just running A 2008 Mac with a GTX570 and GTX120, since I am waiting for my Flander Scientific, and control surface, so I couldn`t break the bank yet with more CUDA`s and Cubix boxes.
Hopefully that`ll get me thru the first film, and if I can manage I`ll upgrade after that. I think most of it can be done in frame view (if not ideal).
Does Resolve have a memory playback function for realtime like After Effects does ?

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Oct 21, 2012 at 7:15:26 pm

dont do it.
it will Take 3 minutes to load or save your project .
500 shots is the absolute max I would do.
Keep it in reels if you can and use the gallery to access your looks on the other reels

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:01:40 pm

Yes we usually work in reels for long form and tried doing an hour show recently all in one timeline and Resolve ran much slower.

If you work in reels and want to final a continuous quicktime or file sequence one thing we do is after rendering the reels we'll create a session to compile the reels and then render out from there. This is also nice if you have been working with larger resolution source files but finishing in HD as the render will go fast.

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:10:47 am

Sascha: HA! Now that would be funny for short form.. I've had music videos with 500+ shots (yes, they were crazy on the cuts).

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:17:24 pm

[Christian Stoehr] "Thanks, what are your system specs, I am just running A 2008 Mac with a GTX570 and GTX120,"

Its a late MacPro3,1 with Quadro4000 UI and 3x flashed GTX480's in a Desktop Xpander. I access source media through a number of interfaces anywhere from FW800 Rugged LaCie drives and a 1.5GBs fibre-optic RAID. Its configured to Blackmagic specs otherwise, running under OS10.6.8, so its not completely orthodox.

Its always safer to divide and conquer, and the reel-by-reel approach does take away a lot of the potential for adventure. It makes a ton of sense if you are prepping a project for film-out; 20 minutes is a standard interval for that, but unless its for archiving purposes, DCP seems to be taking over, for better or worse, and will want the whole project as was implied in one of the previous posts.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:03:12 pm

I've worked both ways, but prefer to have the feature all sitting in one project. Haven't had a problem in v9. Obviously load times are longer vs. one reel per project, but then again I don't have to load 5 or 6 projects to get through a single pass, so it all depends on where you want to do your waiting - all at once or in bits & pieces.

JT

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Jaaron Eller
on Oct 30, 2012 at 10:59:48 pm

Off topic, but Joseph, anything special you're doing to be able to stick with 10.6.8? With similar specs my UI was unusable (the word "slow" wouldn't adequately describe it) until I updated to 10.7 at least. It's interesting to hear that you're not having any issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]