FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview done during magic hour sunset- needs color correction- please suggest options

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Kurian
Interview done during magic hour sunset- needs color correction- please suggest options
on Oct 21, 2012 at 1:58:12 pm

Hi there-

I do not have Davinci, but I do have speedgrade, and I wanted to ask the question here to get a conceptual sense, and hope I can figure out a comparable alternative in speedgrade. We filmed an interview during magic hour as the sun was setting, and looking at the footage, I see diminishing light levels in terms of exposure, but I also see color temperature changes. How can I figure out a solution?

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: Interview done during magic hour sunset- needs color correction- please suggest options
on Oct 21, 2012 at 2:39:49 pm

One thing I really like about Speedgrade is the color temperature control. Davinci, unfortunately doesn't have such a dedicated knob and it's really nice to do exactly what you need to do: change the color temperature.

Good luck!

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Shaun Kurian
Re: Interview done during magic hour sunset- needs color correction- please suggest options
on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:21:54 pm

Thanks for the info...

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 21, 2012 at 3:44:14 pm

Among telecine colorists, correcting for colour temperature between stocks and filtration was one of the most basic things asked to do. No knobs were ever provided for 3200 <-> 6500, generally because the dye layers are too non-linear in response across the exposure range for a single control.

In your case, you will have to compensate gain for diminishing exposure, which will affect overall dynamic contrast, and you will also have to start biasing toward blue/cyan, in whatever way your application accomplishes that in its processing matrix. As golden hour progresses, the amount of correction will also vary. Depending on whether your digital camera was matching peak whites or not, you may find that your final compensating correction is more pronounced in the "mids" or gamma range than for an overall gain change.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Shaun Kurian
on Oct 26, 2012 at 7:22:14 pm

Thanks for the info..

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Oct 23, 2012 at 1:12:23 am

I would stick to two basic principles: get the primaries right first, and rely on the scopes.

Scrub through the footage and pick a reference point to match everything to. Probably either the beginning or the middle. Try correcting 3 select shots from the beginning, middle, and end of the interview until you find an acceptable medium of color temperature, gamma, noise levels etc.

A good workflow for grading is always to get the shadow right (base exposure level), then the highlights (gain), then the mids (gamma) - then color tone, and only then proceed to secondaries. Abiding by this workflow helps maintain consistency when matching multiple shots.

To help match and judge, 'read' the scene using the appropriate scopes and replicate where things fall.

That should get you 90% there, 98% if you're lucky ;-)

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 31, 2012 at 12:12:28 pm

When it gets darker, saturation goes down and contrast goes down and things get cooler.

my ae project has auto white balance, midtone contrast, flicker removal and shadow averaging taking all this into consideration. key frame the clamp slider so that the textbox hovers around 25%. The process should almost fully automatic.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/1026742

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]