FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding clips to conformed timelines

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Adding clips to conformed timelines
on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:45:32 pm

Can anyone help here...

I have a timeline that is conformed and colored. I need to add in a new VFX shot. I imported the new VFX shot into a new bin (to keep my clips organized in the media pool.. good to keep the VFX shots in a separate area).

When I try to cut the clip into my timeline I get an error message 'Unable to insert clip because the timeline is conformed from other folders.'

I really can't add any new clips from a new bin in the media pool? I did try to use the 'reconform from Bins' command to add the new bin, but it changes my timeline in ways that I don't want (I have Avid mixdowns in the timeline and suddenly they change to something else).

Is this just a limitation of the software or can someone help me figure out how to do this.

thanks so much,
Peter

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Adding clips to conformed timelines
on Oct 20, 2012 at 8:02:53 pm

Revising an AAF-imported timeline isn't a very robust workflow yet, as it will lead to other limitations on the return trip.

This will sound like a klugey workaround, but I'm going to suggest making the VFX revision in your AVID editing application and exporting a new AAF. Import that new AAF into the same Resolve project as your original, and the new timeline should open and automatically link to your already established grades. That would be the beauty of the Master Timeline.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
Re: Adding clips to conformed timelines
on Oct 20, 2012 at 8:44:00 pm

I hope they can make the AAF workflow more flexible. We render out as target mode so don't really relink back on the Avid side. And we also still need to be able to link to camera media in Resolve even if the Avid timeline was linked to 'offline media'. Don't know why they won't let us do this!

Thanks for the suggestion. But our VFX vendor is rendering out the final shots just as DPX sequences. Avid won't take the DPX sequences without converting which makes more work for us. It's so much easier for me to bring in the DPX sequence and update the shot in Resolve. It's not a huge VFX show (only about 30 shots) so we are setup to just manually bring the shots into Resolve.

So for me, Resolve is unnecessary limiting our workflow and adding more time to our entire process. Rather than adding more UI changes (some which seem unnecessary) I wish Blackmagic would focus on making workflows more efficient and better for their customers.

But that's just my experience. Don't want to sound so negative, but I just feel that they are not really listening to us and working with us to make the software work better.

thanks,
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]