FORUMS: list search recent posts

conform problems in Resolve9 with file-based media

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve voyk
conform problems in Resolve9 with file-based media
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:18:57 am

I have an FCP xml from an external editorial facility for a feature workflow test.
All the footage is Alexa Pro Res. I am new to the Resolve workflow although have many years experience on smoke doing conforms.

In FCP, the editor has renamed all of the source filenames in the FCP bin (eg. A006C004-120904L25S to 5_10/4).

Now whilst trying to relink, Resolve9 is looking for the revised filename ie. 5_10/4.
Resolve is relinking some of the clips but not others. We feel that it's 'auto' linking simply based on timecode. Unfortunately, all the source timecodes currently are ascending but we know that there will be repeat timecodes (multi days of shooting) hence we need more than just 'timecode' to relink.

Is there a way to see the individual clip data for the XML clips in resolves's timeline to work out what the xml is looking for? I ask as I'm wondering if Resolve is truncating the tape name to 8 characters perhaps?

Any insight to this workflow would be appreciated (and yes, I've read the manual which hasn't given us any clues in this case).

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

Andrew Shtern
Re: conform problems in Resolve9 with file-based media
on Oct 16, 2012 at 11:52:16 am

You should force Resolve to use reel numbers, embedded in source media.
Turn on checkbox in the Master Project Settings/Conform options/Assist using reel numbers from the: Embedding in source clip file (page 42 of user manual)

Andrew Shtern
Editor/Colorist
The Coffeepost @Kiev, UA

Return to posts index

Joseph Mastantuono
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:17:36 pm

Alternatively, There's a way to force FCP7 to rename the clips with the File Names.

Joseph Mastantuono
http://www.goodpost.net
Color Grading & Post Production Consulting

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Oct 17, 2012 at 6:42:49 am

If you don't have to worry about recreating a lot of image repos then I'd bag the xml and use and edl per layer. Enable using clip name during conform in project settings and you you bypass the problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]