FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strategies for onlining project with Split Screen?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Stonehouse
Strategies for onlining project with Split Screen?
on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:52:05 am

I'm currently onlining a music video that features several split screen sequences (2 and 3 shots).

Footage is Red shot cinemascope anamorphic and I am mastering in a letterboxed 1080 timeline

For maximum flexibility I want to be able to zoom and reposition the shots within the split screen (which means a simple window with an alpha output wont work).

A workable, but cumbersome strategy I've come up with is:

Render out various mattes from after effects (ie 2_split_left, 2_split_right, three_split_mid etc)

Add these to the particular shots (tedious, annoying not having access to ALL mattes on a clip level, as you do in track mode), link to alpha output

Turning off "lock matte" in Key / External Matte

Setting output blanking to 286 top 794 bottom

However if anyone has a more elegant solution I would love to hear it!

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: Strategies for onlining project with Split Screen?
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:59:56 am

Hi - can you use a edge wipe between layers with fixed start and end percentage perhaps? There is no way to set this in Resolve, but I believe if it's part of the XML coming in, it should work fine.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Oct 12, 2012 at 3:17:50 am

You could do the split screens in a more appropriate app, burn in the repos and then use power windows to grade seperatly, you could even export a matte for the windows since you'll know where they'll be. Use RGB mattes to get multiple mattes within a single video matte file and save yourself some wrangling,

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Robert Due
on Oct 12, 2012 at 4:06:43 pm

For projects like these, I let the editor do all of the repos (compositing, wipes, etc.) I would utilize Resolve for the zooms (especially since they shot on RED), do the color grading and output files to be conformed on the NLE it was edited on.

In other words, use Resolve as the grading app it is - not an online conforming tool. You can get a reference offline from the editor to help you with the repos and zooms, but let the editor assemble the program.

Just my 2 cents.

Robert Due
Editor / Colorist
INDEPENDENT EDIT
DaVinci 8.2
OSX 10.6.8
MacPro 8-core 4,1 2.93 Ghz
8GB RAM
Nvidia GT120/GTX288 (CUDA 4.0.19)
Decklink Extreme3D+
Panny BT-LH1710P/ Panny BT-LH2600W
Tangent Wave