FORUMS: list search recent posts

Latency in Resolve 9

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Haber
Latency in Resolve 9
on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:25:39 am

Hi guys,

I know we talked about this a could of time, but I thought we could bring it to the table again.
I made a little video to illustrate the latency introduced by the Decklink card and Resolve.
Just see for yourself and stand in awe over the 12-13 frames of latency our system at work shows.
On the right is the UI, upper left the projector and lower left the Ultrascope.
Projector and scope are fed by a Decklink Dual SDI - HDlink - Displayport - HDMIadapter chain.

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/resolve-latency

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: Latency in Resolve 9
on Oct 11, 2012 at 9:56:21 am

Yeah i see it daily and it is there.

It is better not to look at UI when you have video running.

But does this affect you a lot ?

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Javier Sanchez
on Oct 11, 2012 at 6:37:34 pm

we just have decided to dimmer out the gui as we grade, to don't be disturb by it (and also to don't create confusion with client on color grading choice "which monitor to believe discussion")

Javier Sanchez
Head Of Technology
Gama Digital

Return to posts index

Joakim Ziegler
on Oct 11, 2012 at 10:30:51 pm

I totally agree, this is very annoying. It's not annoying because there's a lag between the UI monitor and the video output, the lag between the UI monitor and the video output is just a symptom of the bigger problem, which is that there's a 12-13 frame delay between any operation you do and the result being displayed.

This is the single area where Resolve is not equal or superior to most other DI systems, in my opinion. Pretty much all others are instantaneous (or rather, with a delay of perhaps 2-3 frames at the most).

You get used to it, but it's still annoying, and slows you down, especially when you're doing fine color adjustments.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Postproduction Supervisor

Return to posts index

Robbie Carman
on Oct 12, 2012 at 1:20:16 am

Yes for sure the delay is there on the UI and Video out - for us doesn't seem to matter if its a mac, pc (nt sure about linux. However it just doesn't bother me as the majority of the time my preference is to maximize the UI so the viewer/preview is as small as possible or hidden. Obviously this is helped by the BMD control surface where pretty much everything is mapped.

[Joakim Ziegler] "the UI monitor and the video output is just a symptom of the bigger problem, which is that there's a 12-13 frame delay between any operation you do and the result being displayed."

I don't see this while static grading - a couple examples - add a window, resize it etc its instantaneous, make a correction same thing. Now I would agree with you that during playback when making changes there is a lag. I'm wondering if this is an issue with overall system thru put on mac/pc.

Robbie Carman
----------------
Colorist and Author
Check out my new Books:
Video Made on a Mac
Apple Pro Training Series DVDSP
From Still To Motion
An Editors Guide To Adobe Premiere Pro

Twitter
Blog

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:30:01 pm

For anyone that's thinking that Resolve's lag isn't so bad... I highly encourage you to check out a demo of Scratch. There's no noticeable delay between moves on the panel and feedback in the monitor, though of course there's the standard SDI delay, but about 10 seconds less of it than Resolve.

I'm with Sasha on this 100%. This is something that BMD really need to improve, IMHO.

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Bernardo Brik
on Oct 18, 2012 at 1:17:35 am

I use the "toggle display mode" found when you right click the nodes area. It hides the viewer and expands the gallery and nodes area. Still, there is a huge delay between the timeline playback position and the SDI output.

Return to posts index

Teo Rižnar
on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:43:59 am

Sorry for a little off topic, Sascha do you use HDlink? Only to convert the signal, SDI-HDMI (Decklink Dual SDI - HDlink - Displayport - HDMI adapter). Or do you use it also for calibration LUTs?
How it is handling stereo in this setup?
Thanks!

Color grade reel:
Cofounder of http://nuframe.si postproduction

Return to posts index

Michael Cinquin
on Oct 18, 2012 at 7:47:14 am

+1 !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]