FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a shortcut for adding a Flag?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Smith
Is there a shortcut for adding a Flag?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:34:17 pm

Hi guys,

The Flag system looks like it could be really useful for making notes during a screening, especially for long form, if only there was a way to add a flag while the program is playing.

Is there a shortcut for this?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
Re: Is there a shortcut for adding a Flag?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:40:35 pm

Since there are 9 different Flag selections, it would be a hard thing to make a shortcut for.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:50:52 pm

Hi Dwaine,

As most of us use shortcut editors that allow us to map complicated keystrokes to a single button, a combined key stroke such as alt - 9 or even shit - alt - 9 etc is easy for us to map to a piece of outboard gear or single button.

Alternatively having it as a selectable menu item is also something we can map using shortcut editors.

Having the ability to add flags as the program is playing would increase productivity during long screenings as the colourist wouldn't have to stop every time there is a note from the client. He or she could just tap a key as a note / concern is being raised then return to them later. Having a shortcut / menu item for "go to next flag" and "go to previous flag" would also be a fantastic time saver as well.

Thanks,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:54:36 pm

Hello Dwaine,

can you please explain why there are 9 different flags when the first flag marks ALL my clips? what can i do with the other 8 flags?

i do hope i am doing something wrong here, because i can see the flags being a really useful feature if they worked on a clip basis.
;-/

Barrie

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Oct 12, 2012 at 2:32:06 pm

It would not be hard at all if BMD allowed all commands and GUI options to be user-hotkey mappable. Big wishlist item for me as I use hotkeys a lot (even with the Resolve panels).

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Oct 10, 2012 at 10:50:52 pm

if flag worked on a clip by clip basis, that would be a GREAT feature.

Unfortunately i often work on single media and scene detect, so each clip on my Resolve timeline comes from somewhere in the SAME Quicktime...

... and for some unexplicable reason, in Resolve adding a flag to ONE CLIP flags EVERY CLIP from that media file, rendering the whole FLAG feature useless for us. It always flags all the clips!!

I do hope that this is not as it is designed to work.

If it is, we need another option to add a USER FLAG flag, rather than a media linked flag.

You can use Markers, but they are very difficult to see compared to the flag icon.

Barrie

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:57:24 pm

Barrie, I've just done a test of this. To be honest, I'm not sure why it's doing that. Basically, it seems to be because there is only one source clip in the Master timeline. But just like using the "Copy Remote Grades to Local" function breaks the links between the conformed timeline clips so you can individually correct them, I would expect the Flags to follow that behavior, but it doesn't seem to. Perhaps someone else can chime in on why this is.

But A solution for you, would be to use the Media page Split and Add function. Right click on your clip in the Library area of the Media page, and select the Split and Add menu. Then select the EDL you made with the Scene Detector. This will split the single clip into multiple clips in the Media Pool, and now the flags will work on the individual clips, as desired. I'm not sure this is the best or only solution, but it seems to be a workable solution.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:14:34 am

Thanks Dwaine,

that is a partial workaround which i did not know about, so thank you for that.

Partial, becuase if i subsequently split a clip, perhaps because scene detect missed it, both clips are now flagged. If i try to add a new flag to the new clip, both clips now get flagged.

So i think currently flags may be trying to be too 'helpful', when i think most users are only asking for an electronic version of a colored thumb tack.

Thank you for the fast reply. For now the Markers work exactly as we need, albeit a bit small.

I have programmed "add marker" to a hardware button, because we need it very often.

thanks again

Barrie

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Oct 11, 2012 at 1:46:27 am

Hi, the flags are associated with the source clip so you can add them in the Media pool, conform and color page. Markers are associated with the timeline record timecode. It sounds like you need to use markers but would like them to be more obvious.
Peter

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Oct 11, 2012 at 2:41:18 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding. In regards to markers, from what I understand they are keyframes made on a clip that can animate the grade, so adding them during playback to use as a reference, (which is currently not supported as far as I can tell), would not be ideal in keeping the consistency of a grade. (i.e. you could change a grade before or after the marker and not realise that you accidentally created a popping grade). So I think the the use of these sort of markers for note taking purposes would not be ideal.

Actually, I've just realised that I'm totally confused over the use of "Markers" terminology in the interface design as "Add Static Keyframe" in the "Mark" menu, does the same thing as "Add Marker" from the same menu. Also right clicking on the clip gives you an entirely different "Markers" menu which includes an option to create coloured pins on the timeline. This feature, or the flag feature, looks fantastic and is exactly what we're after, if only we could add them on the fly during a screening and skip to them on the timeline quickly with menu or hotkey commands. Also, in a similar vein, the ability to type in a timecode directly from the color mode and jump to a position on the timeline would make all the difference for speedy reviews of grades with clients. These kind of features are considered industry standards in post production, timeline focused software and I hope that you bring them to Resolve.

Thanks again for your support,

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Oct 11, 2012 at 7:03:49 am

Yep , I totally agree.
Setting a marker while playing is crucial during a client session in the dark.
Someone says out loud " too much grain " and I just press CTRL 1 for example..
I had my marker set to that phrase before, so I know afterwards where I need to work a little more.
Like the version can be named in advance, markers should have that too.
And its also important they dont go to clips, but to the timeline.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:00:50 am

Thanks Peter,

i agree with Sacha and Marcus.

And this is not new, this is pretty standard feature in this industry...

back 15 years ago on our old DPS system, not only could we add marks during playback (like fcp does now) but we could even add marks to clips DURING INGEST and batch capture.

So to sum up this thread, i believe the flag implementation could be improved by
1- improving the two ambiguous "mark" labels,

2- allowing some sort of flag, marker or tag to be added during playback

3- enabling a special timecode-based marker, so when the client says "mark that please", as they have done in this industry for decades, we don't have to grab a pen and paper.

The very best implementation of markers is Digidesign ProTools, please take a look at it. You can add a marker, flag is, color it, anmnotate it, all without interrupting playback. Clients do expect this.

thank you for listening
Barrie

Return to posts index

Nook Kim
on Apr 25, 2014 at 2:44:06 am

Had to revive this thread after much thought on the markers in Resolve 10.

My assistant and I decided to go fancy when creating notes and sharing them between us saving some trees by not using papers and all. The first thing came up in my head was "markers!" So I sit at my system for a session after my assistant reported that he had marked blue for scaled clips, red for this, yellow for that, etc. I go to EDIT page, but there were no markers or whatsoever!

Since then we figured out that any markers on timeline disappears when we log out of Resolve, but markers on clips will remain intact. It'd be amazing if you guys give life to those poor markers on timeline so they can live happily ever after.

As others in this thread suggested, it would be a bonus if we could mark on timeline during playback. I'm not sure if I'm asking too much for notepad kind of fuctionality as seen in FCP 7.

As for the flags flaging based on source clips, I appreciate its behavier. There are too many different resolutions in a project these days, so flags do save us time when we need to render in say, five different resolutions. But hey, I could always see you guys become awesome and give us "render in source resolution." :-)

Thanks for taking your time to read my day dream.

Best,

Nook Kim
http://www.digitalfactory.kr

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]