FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quadro 4000 for Mac - one slot or two?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nelson Goforth
Quadro 4000 for Mac - one slot or two?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:01:23 pm

Will the Nvidia Quadro 4000 for Mac work in one slot?

Product photos show what appears to be a double height card, but I think the top of the photo may be an optional audio connector that does not have to be there.

I'm rapidly running out of room...in fact AM out of room - something will have to do - in my MacPro. I want to be sure of what I'm seeing before ordering.

My desire is to run the 4000 (or whatever card I end up with) in slot 2 as the GPU. I have a Radeon HD 5770 (double height) in slot 1, which would become the GUI card.

Thank you,
Nelson

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
Re: Quadro 4000 for Mac - one slot or two?
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:19:46 pm

The Quadro 4000 is a single width card, and will work nicely in slot 2, with the HD5770 in slot one. The power situation works well with this combo as well. If you had an HD5870, not so well.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Nelson Goforth
on Oct 10, 2012 at 7:32:07 pm

Perfect. Thank you.

Juggling the slots is just a delightful experience; one card has got to go. I need to keep my Decklink 3D for HD-SDI, and the Red Rocket, so it's going to have to be the 4x eSATA port card.

The Resolve configuration manual (for Mac) put the Red Rocket in slot 2, but I've been running it for 2 years in slot 3. Am I going to run into problems with that?

Red Camera Rental & Indy Features, Denver Colorado.
rockymountain4k.com * 303.506.2456

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:09:06 pm

If you update to Lion or Mountain Lion, you can use a GTX570 in slot 1 as a combo GUI/GPU card. That would allow you to use slot 2 for the Red Rocket card, and keep your ESATA card. The single GTX570 will probably have better Resolve performance than the 5770/4000 combo. If you already have the 5770/4000 combo, then it probably makes sense to use it.

I said in my BMD Forum response to you that the GTX570 would not work in Snow Leopard. It's possible that the EFI modified version of the card from MacVidCards would allow that to work, but someone else would need to verify that. I THINK that will work OK as long as you remove the AGPM kext.

The Red Rocket is a x8 card. It will work in a x4 slot (3 or 4) at a reduced performance level. It will work to its full potential in a x16 slot (1 or 2).

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Christopher Adams
on Nov 7, 2012 at 9:19:54 pm

SO if i had to go with a single card and ditch the ati and the q4000 i want the settup to use the fast card for cs6 and such but don't want to keep swapping cables and crawling under my desk each time. I have right now the q4000/ati combo you stated above. Was thinking of ditching that for either a gtx 570 or a 580. (macvideocard modded) and just running with one card. How much of a perf. hit will i get in v9 with Mountain lion? compared to say the q4000/ati that im doing now?
CJ

Return to posts index

Stephen Etchie
on Oct 15, 2012 at 8:57:33 am

If you have only a 4000 would the best slot be 1 or 2? I have a Mac Pro 3,1.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]