FORUMS: list search recent posts

R3D resolution setting messes up HSL qualifier?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laco Gaal
R3D resolution setting messes up HSL qualifier?
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:25:10 am

MacPro 8 core, 10.6.8, Resolve 8.2, 120GT+285GTX

I was grading some RED 4K stuff using the original R3D files, at Quarter resolution. I was given real-time performance during grading which is great.
Before rendering out the final image sequence (scaled to 1080p), I changed the RAW setting from "Quarter res" to "full res premium".
Everything worked fine, except:

one of the qualifier went really bad. I know that it was a complicated key (white text displayed on a LCD wall in the background), but after I changed the resolution it went bad. I tried different settings (half res), but it also changed the key the same way, but not so much.
It seemed to me that none of the other keys - for example the skin keys - were changed.

If this is not the way to do it - grading quarter res, rendering full-res - should everyone invest in a RedRocket?

thank you

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: R3D resolution setting messes up HSL qualifier?
on Oct 9, 2012 at 3:35:57 am

When you make a qualification its based on the image presented so while grading at a lower decode res gives you real time, it also provides less data to the image processor for qualification. As you mentioned, most clips were fine and thats consistent with what we see. The workflow you have now is valid but it pays to check your grades in the final res settings.
Peter

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Oct 9, 2012 at 7:17:13 am

Peter, out of curiosity, would it be possible to have resolve switch dynamically between two different debayer styles. As in, say full res premium when parked on a frame, and then shift dynamically to quater res for rt playback?

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Vladimir Kucherov
on Oct 11, 2012 at 2:03:15 pm

I second this - this would be an amazing and powerful feature. Is it technically possible?

Return to posts index

Laco Gaal
on Oct 9, 2012 at 9:53:22 am

thanks for the fast answer, this sounds as a reasonable answer. But it also means that if I don't want to fear from these surprises, the best way is a redrocket, and grading full-res?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]