FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F3 S-Log 10 bit 4:2:2 or Gemini 4:4:4

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Griswold
Sony F3 S-Log 10 bit 4:2:2 or Gemini 4:4:4
on Oct 6, 2012 at 2:25:57 pm

Hello DaVinci pros...

I have an upcoming shoot with my F3 and we will shoot S-log to an external recorder. What are the penalties in grading if we use a 10 bit 4:2:2 recorder as opposed to a Convergent Designs Gemini recorder that would be dual link 4:4:4. Obviously the Gemini is better, but the massive DPX files could present a real problem in terms of media management. The material is for a TV spot with food beauty shots and chef interviews. What do you think?

George Griswold
New Orleans, LA
http://www.videonow.info

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
Re: Sony F3 S-Log 10 bit 4:2:2 or Gemini 4:4:4
on Oct 6, 2012 at 6:39:17 pm

It's really not 'worth' recording DPX and here's why;

The datarate is massive, around 250MB per second, or in Mb terms, 2000Mbps! This likely means huge storage amounts will be needed for the shoot and backup, copying/transferring the files will take AGES and (unless you have a beefy RAID on set/location) you won't be able to watch the files back in real time. It will also take a long time to transcode the files to a useable edit format (unless you have very fast storage to read from and decent hardware)

The amount of time and money potentially spent over shooting 10b 422 would be better spent on a decent colourist and more grading time. Hands down.

The only real limitation would be for green screen/ keying work or extreme secondary colour correction (ie turning a dark pink scarf red while the person is also wearing a red jacket).

If you have the facilities/equipment and time, shoot your own tests and compare. If not I'd vote for 422 10b over DPX in my opinion.

Either way good luck with the shoot (-;

Toby Tomkins

Return to posts index

Toby Tomkins
on Oct 6, 2012 at 6:50:42 pm

The best format would be ProRes4444 if you can record it! The quality benefits of 444 and less compression without the size of DPX. Or DNxHD 444...

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Oct 6, 2012 at 6:55:39 pm

I saw that the Cinedeck can do that... not sure I can get one locally... still hefty files. This is TV spot after all.

Thanks for your replies Toby

George Griswold
New Orleans, LA
http://www.videonow.info

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:48:15 pm

prores 4444 should be really usable in sense of workflow compared to dpx

should run on most of the systems and have color data also intact.

10b 422 would be also fine if you do not want to go extremes in post as pointed before.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]