FORUMS: list search recent posts

9.01 - render cache doesn't do anything

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Blase Theodore
9.01 - render cache doesn't do anything
on Oct 5, 2012 at 2:27:58 am

I'm working on a mixed timeline of r3d and 5d mark3 footage. For whatever reason, resolve doesn't seem to like the 5dmk3 at all. I get playback rates of 8fps with no correction applied.

My solution was to just dump everything to the render cache. However that doesn't seem to work anymore.

Once everything is cached in, I'll hit play, and everything plays back at exactly the same rate.

Anyone else experiencing either of these issues?

System:
MacPro 5,1
GTX580extreme
Redrocket
24Gb ram, ATTO raid, etc..

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: 9.01 - render cache doesn't do anything
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:54:15 am

Yes, in my opinion , the Render Cache ( short RC ) needs a total overhaul.

1.I would love to see another format, EXR for example, that would allow us to use the cached clips and even grade on top as a second layer.
2.The RC needs to be permanent. Closing the project should not invalidate it.
3.I would love to see a multi select option to send a group of images to the RC. Very useful for noise reduction and multi layer compositing.

I am pretty sure you guys can come up with even more clever ideas.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:02:54 pm

Sasha:
agreed with these requests. (most of them have been on the request list since v7.)

Mario:
Yeah I started with your thread, but none of those suggestions helped. I think we're in the same boat.

Return to posts index

Lee Niederkofler
on Oct 10, 2012 at 9:09:34 am

Yes, please fix the render cache mode. It just doesnt work properly. Every time I turn it on for a selected clip, it does what it should do, but then after I change any clip in the timeline it has to cache again and again, killing performance overall.
It would be such a great feature, if it works properly!!

My fix for that, is either export clip by clip manually and import them again for review or just tell my clients that just this clip is not playing realtime because blablabla...

lee

Return to posts index

Mario Moskon Sarunic
on Oct 5, 2012 at 11:18:33 am

Same here! I've forgot to add that in my "v9 performance drop" topic started here http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/20703

It looks like new gui is just eating too much resources, v9 should remain in beta for some time.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:20:11 pm

[Mario Moskon Sarunic] " v9 should remain in beta for some time."

All software is beta. Otherwise we'd never need new versions of anything. (I started coding in 1972. In HP Basic and ForTran with Watfor.) But I don't really miss those boxes full of punch cards or rolls of paper tapes.

What is it (media mode) that only works in dpx? I forget.

Anyway, you do have to deliberately turn cacheing ON for it to function, and then there are 5 modes, one of which is "OFF". Its a 'cycle' selection, so good to check which mode you may be in.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Blase Theodore
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:25:37 pm

JPo,

Yes, my render cache seems to perform the same in all cache modes.
off, selected clips (which I manually flagged), and all.

Are you seeing a different behavior on your end? Can you confirm yours works?

Return to posts index

John Tissavary
on Oct 7, 2012 at 7:59:15 pm

Render cache, despite it's potential usefulness (tho I've never used it and been using Resolve since v5), would not be my choice of workflow for 5D h.264. Might try putting those clips on a separate track and doing a source mode render to something more appropriate for grading (DPX, Prores, DNxHD, whatever).

JT

John Tissavary | colorist | owner
The Post Collective

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]