FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere speed changes in Resolve 9

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Eilertsen
Premiere speed changes in Resolve 9
on Oct 4, 2012 at 3:19:44 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone had success sending footage with speed effects from Premiere to Resolve? According to Resolve's manual it can read linear and nonlinear speed effects from XML. However when I sent a timeline with a number of speed changes (all linear, done with either the rate stretch tool or "change speed/duration") to Resolve a bunch of clips showed up as offline with a "timecode extents don't match" error and the rest were the wrong portions of the corresponding clips. All footage without speed changes came in just fine.

Any suggestions? Running CS6 and Resolve 9.

Thanks,

Sam Eilertsen
DP/editor/colorist

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: Premiere speed changes in Resolve 9
on Oct 5, 2012 at 3:35:07 am

Sam,
Last project we did we actually used Resolve for final ouput. After conforming to source files we then exported select sources clips out of Resolve ungraded as dpx frames with 48 frame handles and preserving source meta data 1:1 speed. We then executed speed fx in AE and then dropped back in on Resolve as a top layer and pasted on color grade. I'm sure there's a tipping point where too many shots with speed fx may warrant another option but this worked for us.

Return to posts index

Sam Eilertsen
on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:15:20 pm

Thanks for your reply. This seems like a non-ideal workflow, particularly since I would like to roundtrip rather than using Resolve for the final render. Since according to Resolve's specs it is supposed to be able to read speed changes I don't understand the issue. Does it have to do with a problem between Premiere and the FCP XML format perhaps?

Return to posts index

Philip Putnam
on Oct 9, 2012 at 1:31:32 pm

We've just come up against the same problem, using a sequence with mostly 60p footage re-timed to 30. Even after reverting back to 100% speed, we get the same error. We're guessing it's something with the FCP XML, and we can do a work-around for now, but it's not ideal. Hopefully someone's working on a solution, because this wouldn't work for us on a longer project with 60p, or one with lots of edits like a music video.

Philip Putnam
MediaPOP
Creative • Marketing • Production

Return to posts index

Sam Eilertsen
on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:52:00 pm

I think that Resolve does not mixed frame rates, regardless of the speed. You probably need to render the 60p footage into 30p, or move it to a 60p timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]