FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grading browns

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Crist
Grading browns
on Oct 3, 2012 at 3:18:24 pm

I am not new to editing, but I am to advanced color correction/grading and have recently started learning Resolve 9 Lite. My question in a nutshell is: how do you balance color to shift towards browns? I have some interview footage (5D Mk 3, Cinestyle Picture Style) in an old church with rows of pews in the background. When I apply a cinestyle LUT in resolve (or any curves adjustments), the detail in the pews comes out, but they are still tan and grey. How would I go about shifting that color more towards deep browns (realizing that there are limits to what I can do with the H.264 file)? Obviously brown is not on the color wheel, so is there some combination of RGB that would yield a more brownish color?

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Grading browns
on Oct 3, 2012 at 4:34:51 pm

[Terry Crist] "is there some combination of RGB that would yield a more brownish color"

Brown is a low-luminance, low-chrominance member of the amber-red family.

Commonly, artists achieve it by mixing red and green (oil/acrylics). If you are attempting to wash the scene (?) towards a sepia tone, you could try nudging the mids up the I-axis (or near to it) in a following serial node, and then you could modify its effect by qualifying it in some way; HSL key or window, for example.

This is the way most colorists run up and down the CIE hill, which is not a LUT-cube, or a wheel or a sphere.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]