FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut 29.97 time line and Resolve 9

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Williams
Final Cut 29.97 time line and Resolve 9
on Oct 2, 2012 at 11:50:45 pm

I posted a problem the other day about Resolve 9 and mixed frame rates. We have narrowed the problem to the 23.98 clips in a 29.97 time line. Final Cut is adding frames to make up the difference between 24 and 30 and the XML is sent to me for color. In my time line I am seeing the added frames in the 23.98 which is fine for viewing but they also render out which is a problem. Is there a way for the XML not to reflect these added frames?? I want to render the 23.98 and 29.97 clips out at their true frame rate and round trip the project to Final Cut.
Anyone run into this??

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
Re: Final Cut 29.97 time line and Resolve 9
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:55:47 pm

Search for page 133 / 134 in the v9 manual PDF. Make sure to notice that you have to START the project with the mixed frame rates on - top of 134, I think. If you have to start a new one use ColorTrace to bring corrections across. Worked for me just yesterday with a 23.976 timeline and 29.97 clips. Render to source and all will work. Had to beat my head for awhile so hope this helps.

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:04:48 pm

I stand corrected - thanks Clark!

It's page 154 in version 9 manual:
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/4805382/Resolve_9_Manual_2012-08-31.p...

Mixing Frame Rates: Mixed frame rates are supported by DaVinci Resolve when “Handle mixed frame rate material” is turned on in the Conform Options of the Master Project Settings panel. When this checkbox is enabled, Resolve conforms and processes all clips in the Timeline to play at the frame rate that’s selected in the “Calculate Timecode At” pop-up menu. For example, 23.98, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 fps clips will all play at 24 fps if that’s what “Timecode calculated at” is set to in the Master Project Settings. How clips in mixed frame rate timelines are rendered out depends on whether the Render Settings are set to render individual source clips or one single clip. In Source order, all clips are rendered individually at their original frame rate. When you render the timeline as individual source clips, all clips are rendered individually at their original frame rate. If you select ‘single clip’, all clips are converted to the “Calculate Timecode At” frame rate and rendered as a single media file.

You must turn “Handle mixed frame rate material” on in the Project Settings before importing XML or AAF files using mixed frame rate clips. Otherwise, these projects will not conform correctly. However, because DPX files often either lack or have incorrect frame rate information in the header data, you may need to turn off this setting when conforming a project using image sequences to make sure these are not incorrectly interpreted.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Clark Bierbaum
on Oct 3, 2012 at 2:15:29 pm

Sorry about the page #, I was using an older manual on an iPad! Wish they made the page numbers in the manual "clickable" so you could jump to the page from the index - have seen it done elsewhere, I think.
Also, would be great if a BM rep would post here with a link when a new manual is uploaded.

Clark Bierbaum
Color Grading / Post Consultant
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 3, 2012 at 1:58:13 pm

Yep. Just did a project with this exact problem. Our solution was to commit to 1 frame rate. So if you're going to 29.97 then 23.98 files need to be converted to 29.97, re-edited into the FCP timeline, and a XML sent to Resolve.

Basically, you'll need to commit to whatever frame rate you want and bake that into the corresponding clips. Resolve doesn't play well with mixed frame rate timelines.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]