FORUMS: list search recent posts

Emergency! Lost Half GradeS, But Don't Understand Why?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Desmond Ford
Emergency! Lost Half GradeS, But Don't Understand Why?
on Oct 2, 2012 at 12:04:15 am

I spent the weekend color grading a short film. I made sure everything was saved. I had it on auto save the entire time and every 5 minutes the computer would stop me to save whatever I had done. After I finished, I even dragged and dropped the project onto an external hard drive, just to be on the safe side.

So toady I open it up, and only the first 15 shots had the grades applied to them. All the rest, approximately 60 were missing.

Any idea why this might have happened? Are the grades just somewhere else? Can I reapply them?

How to do reimport the Project files into a new project? I tried but it won't allow me to select the files, they're all grayed out...

Please Help!

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: Emergency! Lost Half GradeS, But Don't Understand Why?
on Oct 2, 2012 at 3:39:01 am

Did you conform in Resolve or liad a preconformed file?

If you conformed in Resolve have you checked your master session for grades?

If you preconformed how did you build your color list? EDL? Scene detect? If you opted for preconform workflow using edl then all your grades will be local.

Paerhaps you called up an older session?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:23:57 am

In relation to projects saving and backup. You should consider implementing TimeMachine for a general backup and from the Resolve Project manager 'Export' the project to another drive so its easy to import. This is often done only at the end of a project so you can save it with the source media.

As to why some of your grades are missing. It could be that you have some source files that are used multiple times and as you come across each in the timeline you have re-graded them. If this was the case you should use a local or alternative version. Please refer to the manual for the details.

Finally, to help fault finding, please detail the OS and version of Resolve you are using and as Chris mentioned a little detail on workflow.
Peter

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Oct 2, 2012 at 5:54:56 am

Even if I never had that problem before, the last thing I do before I render or close something is to use "Create stills from Middle Frame" function.
I keep switching projects a lot due to the long saving times but I always need to acces old grades.
This saved me a couple of times when the project itself was corrupt.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Desmond Ford
on Oct 2, 2012 at 6:04:52 pm

Thanks for the tip. It's turns out that that was the problem.

Basically, I just right clicked and selected Use Local Version and they all came back! I had created a second timeline from the edl that I was messing around with, which compromised the original timeline.

I went back and read the manual on the subject. I never realized that all clips were automatically linked in all timelines. So now I'll have to always be sure to unlink them.

I don't think most people realize this yet so I'll be sure to spread the word.

Thanks again, Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]