FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 9 -> FCP 7 XML Round trip reconnect issues - Original Filenames vs Unique Filenames

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Francis Hanneman
Resolve 9 -> FCP 7 XML Round trip reconnect issues - Original Filenames vs Unique Filenames
on Sep 29, 2012 at 10:01:44 pm

I have a 90 minute show to bring back to FCP7 from Resolve 9.

When I export the XML from the Conform page and open it in FCP, the first 80% of the show refers to the original filenames while the last 20% of the show refers to the unique filenames (V1-0103_filename.mov, etc).

I rendered the whole show out with unique filenames, so only the last 20% reconnects.

I have tried changing many settings in the "delivery" panel, but I always get the same XML outputted from the "conform" panel.

How can I force the XML to refer to the rendered files with the unique filename?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resolve 9 -> FCP 7 XML Round trip reconnect issues - Original Filenames vs Unique Filenames
on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:51:24 am

Did you render the whole show at once? Quickest fix for you might be to rerender everything in one session, then export the XML again.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Francis Hanneman
Re: Resolve 9 -> FCP 7 XML Round trip reconnect issues - Original Filenames vs Unique Filenames
on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:23:19 pm

There were some issues with the original media export, some of the clips on the timeline used had alpha channel transitions and made Resolve crash.

I re-rendered everything overnight without "unique filename" and now have the original filenames in my media folder, without the V1 prefix.

The outputted XML was the same as yesterday, with 80% of the filenames no-prefix and 20% with V1-number_filename.mov.

When I tried to reconnect the XML in FCP7, the original filename media would give me the error "The file does not have the proper content to reconnect - Click OK to make this item independent"

Most of the files with original filenames did not reconnect correctly - whereas the portion of the XML with unique filenames reconnected just fine.

I think I'm running out of options and may have to reconnect manually to the prefixed filename footage...

Return to posts index

Dave Williams
on Sep 30, 2012 at 11:50:00 am

I have been doing some 48 minute shows this past few weeks and have had some similar issues but I did try something one day that made a difference. After render when you go back to highlight the time line that you want to export a XML rather than taking the default name which is the original name of the imported XML with the extension of (Resolve) change the entire name as at that point it does not matter. I had the same issue one day on a show and I found that by renaming the XML there is no chance that it will revert back to the original footage.

Return to posts index

Francis Hanneman
on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:40:22 pm

Here's some of the things I tried to do, always giving me the same problematic result:

- Renaming the timeline in the conform window. Re-export XML.

- Save entire project as another name, in hopes that a re-build would help.

- Consolidating media on one video track

- Creating New timeline, copy/pasting content of original timeline, re-export XML.

- Re-render all media without "unique filenames" - reconnecting to media in FCP7 was problematic, could not find sufficient or correct content on most media fies with original filenames.

For some reason, the last block always refers to V1-number_filename.mov whereas the rest of the show refers to the original filename - no matter what I do... Arg.

Return to posts index

Eric Johnson
on Oct 2, 2012 at 7:38:51 pm

I would like to point out that by not checking "unique file names" you are creating Finder level issues that result in the errors you described, at least in the case of things not reconnecting properly.

When you don't create unique names, the first instance of a clip (lets say shot #5) will be overwritten by the second instance (shot #7). This will continue every time a new instance of the clip is rendered because the Finder/file system will not allow duplicate file names in the same directory.

It sounds to me like you rendered the first half of the show, either had an error or stopped down, then resumed your render after re-opening Resolve. When you do this, it is only making the XML for what you just rendered.

Try re-rendering just the front end with "Unique names", export the XML, and cut the 2 timelines together.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]