FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resizing info from FCP7 XML doesn't roundtrip

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Lahat
Resizing info from FCP7 XML doesn't roundtrip
on Sep 29, 2012 at 1:45:19 am

According to DaVinci/Blackmagic, resizing info is sent back to FCP when you export an XML to it. Page 566 in the Resolve 9 manual:

"Effects that DaVinci Resolve does support such as ... position/scale/rotation ... are not “baked” into the final media that you render in preparation for sending back to your NLE or finishing application. Instead ... the XML file that you export from Resolve contains all of the effects information necessary to reassemble the rendered media into a timeline that uses Final Cut Pro effects applied to Resolve-graded media."

What I see in reality is the exact opposite. Make an FCP7 sequence with some position/scale changes, XML it over, apply (any) grading, and render using the "Final Cut Pro XML Round-Trip" easy setup preset. The resulting files have resizing info baked into the final rendered media, and consequently the graded XML has the resizing info reset to default.

Checking "Disable Input Sizing" in the Deliver page doesn't make any difference.

Does it work for anyone else? I'd be surprised if it's a bug, when BM describes the functionality in such details where the actual behavior is the opposite.

Using Resolve 9.0.1 and XDCAM EX media (which is officially supported in Resolve). Just for good measure, I transcoded the source media to ProRes and got the same results.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Resizing info from FCP7 XML doesn't roundtrip
on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:24:49 am

This is the same behavior I see. However it's what I want. If I desire to ignore the sizing in FCP i simply set ignore sizing in the XML import. If i do want to keep sizing, I DEFINITELY WANT to bake in that sizing in Resolve, as the scaler used in Resolve is far,far,far superior to that of FCP. I do not want FCP doing any scaling if I can avoid it.

And you are correct the ignore input sizing doesn't change the behavior, as the FCP sizing info is dark metadata. And isn't affected by those settings. Unfortunately the only way I know off to bypass this, is to set it to ignore sizing on import.

But I'd encourage you to try to do all of your scaling within Resolve. Not in FCP!

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

James Scott
on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:21:27 pm

For me the baked in sizing is not helpful and wish the info could just be sent via the XML so that my sizing info is handled by FCP like in my original timeline. I work with a lot of interlaced TV shows. I had tried a bunch of approaches but in the end had to ignore scaling and redo them manually in FCP. When I tried using resolve with scaling it would mess up the interlacing some how. Once there was an effect in FCP on this rendered file interlacing was all mangled. Also, sometimes my scaling is layered so it needs to have transparency and when rendering with ProRes this is not possible. This is an area that could be heavily improved in my opinion.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:39:51 am

In order to avoid burning in interlacing, you need to turn on field rendering. With some formats (i.e. 486 ntsc in an HD 60i sequence) the field dominance becomes inverted. This is easily fixed by re inverting the FD using something like the "shift fields" plugin in FCP.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:50:35 am

During the XML import, there is an option to "Use Sizing Information". If this option is enabled, you will see the sizing information in Resolve. Rendering these clips in Resolve will include the sizing. The checkbox to disable input sizing applies to any sizing performed within Resolve. The exported XML will not contain the sizing since it will be included as part of the render.

Alternatively, if you do not check the "Use Sizing Information" during the import, Resolve will not have any sizing from FCP in the Color page or the rendered files. However, the exported XML will still have the original sizing information from FCP.

Return to posts index

Drew Lahat
on Oct 4, 2012 at 7:28:27 pm

Hi Anish,

I can see how that would make sense. Are you basically saying that the manual should read:

"Effects such as (PTZR) are not baked into the final media and passed through" etc... unless you enable "Use Sizing Information from XML"?

Return to posts index

Yohance Brown
on Oct 11, 2012 at 3:02:13 pm

Thats how it should work however the sizing info is not being passed on to the XML from resolve. I assume this is a bug and it needs to be fixed asap.

yohance brown
colorist
http://www.yohancebrown.com

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Nov 19, 2012 at 3:55:13 am

I'm working in FCPX 10.0.6 and Resolve 9.0.3. I've just sent a 2 minute film over with a variety of resizing, repositioning and a few shots with a slight animated push-in or pan.

On XML import, I checked "use sizing information" and all shots came in correctly scaled and positioned, except for the two shots that had animated camera moves on them. On those clips, the shot came in locked off for the duration at the final position of the camera move.

One thing I'm a little confused about is that Resolve both respects and ignores the sizing information in the Sizing window. Even though my clips are correctly scaled, Resolve shows them at 0,0 and 100%. When I "zoom out" on a clip, I will get the full framing of the original, if I want. I'm not sure why the numerical sizing values don't show up in Resolve (ie 125% blowup) but it is resized anyway. I would think simple scaling information would translate 1:1 on media that is the referenced by both Resolve and FCPX.

Anyone have an idea what's going on here? And can Resolve deal with importing keyframed moves or just one time re-positions?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]