FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixed Frame Rate Problem in Resolve 9.

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Williams
Mixed Frame Rate Problem in Resolve 9.
on Sep 29, 2012 at 1:35:15 am

Hello All
I am on Resolve 9.0 and am importing an XML edited on a 29.97 drop frame time line. There are mixed frame rates on the time line. Clips come in fine
everything looks good. I prechecked the box to allow mixed frame rates. Some of the clips with different codec's that were shot at 23.98 are not playing correctly on the time line and when they are rendered they
have correct 23.98 TC but the audio is distorted and the video is freezing for one frame every 4 or 5 frames. I have checked all the clips and everything is good. The only time they are a problem is on a mixed frame rate time line.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as the show I am working on is under a deadline.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Mixed Frame Rate Problem in Resolve 9.
on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:10:45 am

While the new mixed frame rate mode allows you to round trip mixed frame rate sequences in their native frame rate, it doesn't mean resolve now has teranex like frame rate conversion. Resolve is doing some interpolation to allow you to see your footage in context while you grade. You probably won't get much in the way of truly smooth playback. But once you round trip with a source mode render back to your NLE, you NLE will once again be doing the frame rate conversion, which will look as good as your NLE allows.

Another factor in your playback issues may be your source codecs. Some codecs just perform better than others. Particularly troublesome are long gop codecs.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 29, 2012 at 5:16:15 pm

[Juan Salvo] "While the new mixed frame rate mode allows you to round trip mixed frame rate sequences in their native frame rate, it doesn't mean resolve now has teranex like frame rate conversion"

Juan is right.
It's best to do a proper frame rate conversion prior to your edit if possible. My belief, in having the option to mix frame rates, is only for preview purposes. Use a tool like the Terenex or Smoke to do a proper conversion, create new media (proper timecode and reel id's) and then insert into the edit.

Craig

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Sep 30, 2012 at 3:42:48 am

[Craig Harris] "Use a tool like the Terenex or Smoke to do a proper conversion"

I haven't known Smoke to be particularly well suited for FRC (frame rate conversion), Teranex is adequate. I use Snell Alchemist, which IMO is the best possibile converter in most cases.

My point is that none of those are NLEs though NLEs like FCP, Avid and even PrP now offer some form of FRC which is probably better than what Resolve might be doing, for now. Though with round trip workflow perserving the original source TC and FPS for the source clip. You could conceivably make decisions about when or how you do FRC after the color pass.

Just be sure to use the round trip/source render, not the output/timeline render to avoid burning the preview FRC resolve is doing.

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 30, 2012 at 5:37:57 am

[Juan Salvo] "I haven't known Smoke to be particularly well suited for FRC (frame rate conversion), Teranex is adequate. I use Snell Alchemist, which IMO is the best possibile converter in most cases."

Juan,
Smoke is very adequate for versioning. So is Snell.
A team I was working with recently versioned a documentary through a Teranex which failed a German network QC. We ran it through the Smoke and passed with no errors on the QC report.

Craig

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Sep 30, 2012 at 5:49:41 am

Snell is not just adequate its motion compensated frame rate conversion is miles ahead of none MCd convesions. From the looks of this knowledge base article autodesk doesn't do anything of the sort.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16368432&l...

I'm surprised it passed qc where teranex failed, but it doesn't sound from that article like smoke would do any better at converting frame rate than say an avid symphony, which IMO is not a very good choice.

If you look at autodesk's own recommendations in the KB they recommend doing the standards conversion on a HW converter.

Return to posts index

Dave Williams
on Sep 30, 2012 at 11:35:42 am

This show has already been edited and I think everyone is missing the point to my original question. All I am asking is that Resolve Render the clips out correctly at their original speeds. The manual says it will do it and it should do it but it's not. Its almost there except for the stutter on the 23.98 footage. I am assuming it's a glitch in Resolve or something in the XML. If you put 23.98 and 29.97 footage on a timeline and check the box in the conform page that says "Handel Mixed Frame Rates" it should work. This is not a conversion problem this is a simple rendering out at the correct speed without the glitch. I don't really care how they play back in the timeline just render out correctly.

Return to posts index

Dave Williams
on Sep 30, 2012 at 11:44:19 am

Back to Juan's suggestion of rendering out the master timeline. I can try that but you must remember that some of the pieces come from huge clips that are only taking seconds from the source. It will extend my render time greatly but if it works I will try it today as this show is on a deadline.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Sep 30, 2012 at 2:22:40 pm

Is your sequence coming from PrP by any chance? Have you used Adobe Media Encoder to modify the clips?

Sounds like somethnging may be off in your 23.98 clips, if you're using the round trip workflow render as I assume you are.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]