FORUMS: list search recent posts

v9 performance drop :(

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mario Moskon Sarunic
v9 performance drop :(
on Sep 28, 2012 at 10:42:24 am

I've just upgraded from v8 to 9.01 and I have performance drop on all of my projects.
Before upgrade clips that were locked green on 25fps (PAL) are now playing between 18-21fps. I'm using mostly HD Prores422 files, everything is smooth with up to 5-6 nodes, but clips with more than that cannot play smooth anymore. I've reinstalled Cuda drivers, started with new disk db, my Mac is updated etc etc
Does anyone experienced something similar? When I roll back to v8 everything is fine!

btw I just realized that Resolve is constantly using around 50% cpu in Activity Monitor, even on login screen? Is that normal?

specs: Mac Pro mid 2010, 24gb ram, Quadro 4000 for GUI and FX4800 for Resolve, Decklink HD Extreme 3D+ for output, OSX 10.8.2

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
Re: v9 performance drop :(
on Sep 28, 2012 at 11:56:16 am

yes, exactly the same here.

on phone to BM tech right now trying to find nail down the problem. Just getting ready to roll back to v8

Barrie

Return to posts index

Mario Moskon Sarunic
on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:03:56 pm

Great :(
Please let me know if you found a solution.

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:53:06 pm

On my system, the solution was to go to the CONFORM page, and bottom right-hand corner, UN-check "Display Audio Waveforms".

The problem seems to be that the app goes up to 400% CPU when calculating waveforms, resulting in compromised playback.

BM tech support in UK are at lunch right now, but when they return i will inform them too.

Barrie
pixelfantastic

Return to posts index

Mario Moskon Sarunic
on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:31:58 pm

Doesn't work for me :(
I've tried 9.0 and 9.01 same thing, just rolled back to 8

Return to posts index

Timofey Goloborodko
on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:47:47 pm

We have same problems, we also update to version 9 and now think start new projects in 8.

Win 7SP1 Resolve 9.01 Quadro 4000 + Dual 580 3GB

colorist
http://cinelex.ru/

Return to posts index

Marcus Smith
on Sep 28, 2012 at 1:59:12 pm

Want to report the same issue here. Especially noticed significant extra grading latency between making an adjustment and seeing it on the screen. We've rolled back as well.

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Sep 28, 2012 at 3:03:49 pm

Our little fix only worked temporarily.

As of today (28 sept 2012) there are a few intermittent bugs in v9.0.1, especially in 3D stereoscopic.

Stuttering playback, playback changing 3D modes between pause and playback, Auto stereo color balance makes one eye pure white. Auto Color balance makes image less matched in upper luminance areas. CPU going sky high and causing the app to stop responding for quarter of a minute at a time. Audio waveforms hardly visible, yet consuming heavy resources. etc.

I like the new features, but v9 is not quite ready to be released yet.

We too are rolling back to v8 for a while.

Barrie

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 28, 2012 at 6:50:30 pm

[Barrie Williams] "I like the new features, but v9 is not quite ready to be released yet.
We too are rolling back to v8 for a while."

I'm happy we didn't upgrade our main system.
Have been testing V9 on a secondary machine and notice the same problems. Still beta.

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Sep 28, 2012 at 7:00:44 pm

i held off while it was officially in beta, and only upgraded after it was declared a 'release'.

It's looking very promising, but in reality it's still beta code for 3D use.

Barrie

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Sep 28, 2012 at 7:39:17 pm

I seem to have reduced rendering speed performance going from v9beta3 to 9.0 final.
was in the 80-90fps range for prores hd>hd and now seeing 60-70fps for same type material.
10.8.1 & 10.8.2

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Dean Manion
on Sep 29, 2012 at 8:32:21 pm

I'm seeing a significant performance drop with dynamics. I used to be able to play through iris fixes just fine and now it drops to a ridiculous stutter no matter what I do. It makes it untenable for screening anything. Any kind of key framed adjustment slows to a stutter. Very frustrating.

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:09:02 am

Regarding Pauls post, I did a test here to see what differences occurred. This was on a 5,1 MacPro with dual 2.4Ghz 6 core Xeon CPUs. 12 GB of RAM. OS X 10.8.2. CUDA 5.0.24. A single GTX570 graphics card. DeckLink HD Extreme 3D+. Using a ProRes422HQ HD source file. One node with a Primary correction. HD timeline. Rendering to a ProRes422HQ file in HD.

Render Speed Results:
V9 Beta 1: 76 FPS
V9 Beta 2: 76 FPS
V9 Beta 3: 76 FPS
V9 Release: 76 FPS
V9.0.1: 76 FPS

I also ran the Standard Candle 82 test with all the above versions. There were no performance differences between any of the versions.
All Node tests realtime 24 FPS except 12 nodes, which was 14 FPS.
NR4 = realtime 24 FPS. NR3 = 21.5 FPS. NR2 = 10.5 FPS. NR1 = 3FPS.

Regarding Dean's comment, check this link to see if this is related:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/20830

Regarding Craig's Comment, see this link:

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1488

Regarding Mario and Anish's comments, it doesn't look like we've received a project export to examine yet.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Paul Provost
on Oct 4, 2012 at 12:27:05 am

wow Dwaine. That is incredible performance with just the one gtx 570.
I had to run my system that way while my cubix was in for repair and I was getting mid 30's on prores 1080 render on an almost identical system (although my storage is an external 8 drive sas getting about 650MB read/write) - I assume you had local storage on the mac pro...

on another note, I just did my first supervised job with a single long file cut up or "notched" at the edits, :60 tv spot. normally i have edited original source media or media managed projects with separate clips for all shots.
I had dismal performance on my full blown mac system with 3gpu. barely could play 23.98 1080 prores realtime.
is this normal behavior? does resolve not like media handled this way? (ie it was a self contained movie in FCP, one clip cut at the edits, and xml sent to resolve, only 60 seconds long - basically a "pre conforming flat media to EDL" type of workflow)
It seems I've done this in the past, but this was kooky bad.

Edit.. Maybe I was seeing the new "window tab open" bug?

http://www.4Kfinish.com | owner-colorist | Hollywood, CA

Return to posts index

Anish Prithviraj
on Oct 2, 2012 at 9:22:28 am

Mario,

Would it be possible for you to send us an export of your project from Resolve 9.0.1? You can send the exported file to davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign (dot) com.

Thanks,
Anish

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Oct 3, 2012 at 9:42:23 pm

DPX Render Benchmarks - V8 vs V9

I use Resolve Lite to consolidate our various projects, converting Alexa ProRes 444 to 10Bit DPX.

Version 8
Averaging 35-42 FPS

Version 9
Averaging 15-17 FPS

Return to posts index

Mario Moskon Sarunic
on Oct 4, 2012 at 11:50:01 am

Im in the middle of project so I cannot revert back to v9 but issue is not in single project.
All projects, old or newly created ones are much slower.

Return to posts index

Barrie Williams
on Oct 5, 2012 at 7:38:53 am

One thing we may not be factoring in is the 10.7.5 OSX BUG.

when i updated i carefully read the config requirements, and updated to 10.7.5, which was a BIG mistake, because the Spotlight indexing was severely broken on that build, meaning that if your system started indexing, it would NEVER stop, using precious CPU resources for nothing.

I reported this to Apple who promised a quick fix.

THIS MORNING Oct 5th they released a 10.7.5 PATCH which has fixed the problem, so now i hope my system will be more responsive.

Barrie
pixelfantastic

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Oct 5, 2012 at 6:38:35 pm

Did a test using Resolve 8.2.2 and the Standard Candle Test 82 using the same hardware and software as mentioned in my earlier post about V9 version testing. All my results in 8.2.2 were identical to the V9 results.

While I had 8.2.2 loaded, I also repeated the render speed test that I performed on all the V9 versions above. There was a big difference here. Instead of the 76 FPS render rates of V9, I got 25 FPS render rates in V8.2.2. Many people have commented about improved V9 render speeds, and that certainly is true on this hardware.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Martin Melnick
on Sep 10, 2013 at 4:48:28 pm

I was having a nightmare of a time with performance loss -
32 gb ram, gtx titan gpu, amd phenom 6core - but then like an idiot I realized that I had the 'Proxy on the Fly' selection check-boxed.
I believe this writes cached files of the media as it plays to theoretically allow for faster playback later on. The problem is that it has to constantly re-write if you are still working on a project, so rather than just reading the media, fps was caught up on writing it as well.
Check to see if 'Proxy on the Fly' is selected. If it is, try de-selecting and see how your performance increases. I was working on a 5k feature shot on Epic. Performance was down to 8-12 fps with only five or so nodes and an alpha on each clip. Unchecked 'Proxy on the Fly' brought my Red playback up to 20fps instantly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]