FORUMS: list search recent posts

color difference on preview and reference monitor!?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
janosch simon
color difference on preview and reference monitor!?
on Sep 27, 2012 at 7:24:32 pm

Hi there :-)
I have setuped a small grading suite the main monitor is an HP LP3065 and my reference monitor is an Eizo FS2331 feeded through hdmi out of an blackmagic intensity. (the main monitor is calibrated with x-rite Eye One Display Pro and the eizo with colorbars)

here is the question:

when i import some 5D MK II h264 clips into Resolve and grade them i get on the main monitor in the preview windows an image that is much darker and more saturated than on the FS2331. i grade and trust the image on the FS2331 :-)

when i export as an H264 mov and play the clip via quicktime player it looks just like on my FS2331 but when played back with VLC it looks like crap

so it it normal that the image on the main Monitors preview window is "wrong"

who to trust :-)

cheers janosch

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: color difference on preview and reference monitor!?
on Sep 29, 2012 at 7:39:01 am

[janosch simon] "the main monitor is calibrated with x-rite Eye One Display Pro and the eizo with colorbars"

Colorbars does not a calibration make. And the GUI screen is not an adequate way of judging an image. It's certainly not intended for that purpose.

[janosch simon] "who to trust :-)"
I'm very sorry to say in your case it sounds like you can't trust either screen. I would encourage you to have your Eizo professionally calibrated. Not with colorbars, but with a proper meter and test-patterns and the whole works, so that you'll then be able to truly trust it as a monitor. And then grade to that, and not the GUI picture, please.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

janosch simon
on Sep 29, 2012 at 8:06:14 am

hey juan :-) thx for your honest replay :-)

so my eizo is the one after proper calibration to trust :-)

another question is my old blackmagic intensity the one with one hdmi in and one out

can i mess up the settings?
an lastly the difference between quicktime and vlc?

so many questions :D

cheers and thx
janosch

Return to posts index

janosch simon
on Sep 29, 2012 at 10:43:32 am

oh man i think i found the problem :-/

when i import h264 clips directly from the card (5D Mk II footage) they have this color shift i downloaded the pro res clips from blackmagic the alex footage and its spot on

and i was happy that i dont need to transcode anymore :-(

cheers janosch

Return to posts index

janosch simon
on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:48:27 pm

[Juan Salvo] "I'm very sorry to say in your case it sounds like you can't trust either screen. I would encourage you to have your Eizo professionally calibrated. Not with colorbars, but with a proper meter and test-patterns and the whole works, so that you'll then be able to truly trust it as a monitor. And then grade to that, and not the GUI picture, please.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author"

seems im still confused :D dont get the result like i want :-(

what do you mean by professionaly callibrated?`how can i calibrate the eizo over hdmi?

cheers janosch

Return to posts index

janosch simon
on Oct 1, 2012 at 7:30:45 pm

i made it YEAHHHHHHHH i calibrated my eizo with this http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration and now im VERY close to what i see on the eizo :D

only quicktime and safari sucks :D but vlc chrome and firefox work spot on yeah :DDDD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]