FORUMS: list search recent posts

9.0.1 window tracking issue

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
prathvish hegde
9.0.1 window tracking issue
on Sep 27, 2012 at 11:32:48 am

hi,

have any one tried tracking window on 9.0.1 ????

now i cant track any shot automatically either i have to use a stationary window or manually track as i do on davinci 2kplus (is it the worlds best tracker we are talking about???? anymore!!!)

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
Re: 9.0.1 window tracking issue
on Sep 27, 2012 at 11:57:21 am

Something has indeed changed.

I tracked something I tracked yesterday. I struggled a bit to get it right now, compared to yesterday when this was a one-button-operation.

Here's a screenshot for comparison. Nothing was adjusted. I simply hit the "Track forward" button on the already tracked window.

I'm having a hard time tracking other, really basic things, too.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:33:20 pm

hmm weird :(

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:38:26 pm

Yeah Tracking not working well for me - having to manually keyframe a shot i was able to just auto track in v9beta3 or V8.

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:14:54 pm

Hi,

I just checked this here, and I didn't see any problems immediately.

Can you provide some more details:

1. Does it happen on clips of a specific resolution? (Does it happen with HD files, HD timeline resolution)
2. Can you confirm the same project works ok in 9.0, but not in 9.0.1?

Thanks,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:22:09 pm

1. HD (1080p)
2. I started the project in 9.0 - updated early this morning and the tracker seems to be a bit less sticky compared to 9.0. Not that it's doing an insanely bad job, just not completely like it was in 9.0

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Sep 27, 2012 at 1:41:55 pm

Hmmm there have been no changes in that area. Are you able to re-install the 9.0 version to check against the same project and same window position preferably.

The DB is same version so you should be able to go back and forth.

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:55:46 pm

i tried on a 9.0 project which i had to make few changes and a few new replaced shots the shot didnt have any windows before but when i added a window after upgrading to 9.0.1 i found that the window is not tracking correctly (way off for me) this shot was a simple shot to track and i tried by even keying and tracking the portion (which i do sometimes for a better track) but no luck.

mine is a linux resolve(9.01) and i have been on the machine since version 7 with the new panels i have never have seen this happen before.

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Sep 27, 2012 at 3:22:51 pm

In Project Settings, Image Scaling, what Input Scaling Preset do you have selected?

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

prathvish hegde
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:29:49 pm

hi,

project is 1920*1080psf ,square pixel ,input scaling - center crop with no resizing
output scaling - center crop with no resizing
monitor out -1920*1080sf

after playing around for a while i have noticed this problem is present in only sessions upgraded from previous version 9.0 and not on new projects created on 9.01 is it a bug????

prathvish hegde
colorist

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:45:25 pm

Well, its certainly a bug, but i have made a new session and its there too.
When changing the input sizing to another scale method it seems to work.
Center crop sometimes looks like the tracking image is three times bigger than the timeline.
I can see the movement follow the actors face, but extrapolated.

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Dwaine Maggart
on Sep 27, 2012 at 5:01:16 pm

There was an issue with tracking not working properly in V9 with the "Center crop with no resizing" Input Scaling Preset selected. And that issue appears to still be in 9.0.1. This is with HD material on an HD timeline. If you select the "Scale entire image to fit" preset, the tracking should work properly.

Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:50:57 pm

This is still a beta version IMHO.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:58:54 pm

Agreed. And unfortunate that they dumped version 8 so quickly. 8 was VERY solid and working great (except for the audio bug that we found with UltraStudio). At least support 8 until 9 is solid. Some people make a living with this software.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 27, 2012 at 9:24:38 pm

[Peter Berg] "Agreed. And unfortunate that they dumped version 8 so quickly. 8 was VERY solid and working great (except for the audio bug that we found with UltraStudio). At least support 8 until 9 is solid. Some people make a living with this software."

Completely agree.
That is not a slight in any way towards BM. I love you guys!

Just need my toolset to be as solid as V8.

Craig

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 27, 2012 at 9:49:29 pm

I hate to agree here because well honestly i think great work is being done by the BMD guys, BUT wowzers!! Yeah shots that easily tracked for me in V8 were having lots of issues in V9. Every version of Resolve 9 I have tried has some bugs in it that directly effect my work a lot. Just kinda blown away compared to V8 the number of glaring bugs that really do negatively effect real world paying jobs for users. This latest release has fixed a lot which is great, but obviously still kinks need to be worked out.

Kinda surprised it could be released with this many bugs and a kind of "send us your project file, xml, footage, crash report, etc. nope we don't see that issue on our end" response without actually telling users that YES many others are also experiencing all these bugs and you are not alone.

To be constructive here because I do actually think they are doing great work, I think it would help greatly for BMD support to share what bugs people are finding as soon as its a consensus among enough users or have a section on the forum for bug reports or something so users can get an idea of what is going on. Being left in the dark on this stuff i think is the most troublesome thing for me as a DaVinci user..I dont have this issue with Adobe, Maxon, Imagineer, Autodesk, etc. whom I have also invested in greatly.

Also, I think auto update notification or something for versions and decklink drivers etc would be great - redcine-x (as do many other apps) now has this feature where it notifies you of available updates - or even an email notification for the BMD products you have which have updates? Having to search forums and dig thru the support page is just extra steps no?

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:37:07 pm

[andrew smith] "Kinda surprised it could be released with this many bugs and a kind of "send us your project file, xml, footage, crash report, etc. nope we don't see that issue on our end" response without actually telling users that YES many others are also experiencing all these bugs and you are not alone.

To be constructive here because I do actually think they are doing great work, I think it would help greatly for BMD support to share what bugs people are finding as soon as its a consensus among enough users or have a section on the forum for bug reports or something so users can get an idea of what is going on. Being left in the dark on this stuff i think is the most troublesome thing for me as a DaVinci user..I dont have this issue with Adobe, Maxon, Imagineer, Autodesk, etc. whom I have also invested in greatly.
"

I'm gonna take a conjecturing "pundit" role here, and assume that the reason why R9 was shipped in the state its in is because of it's marketing tie-in with the BMD Cinema Camera. In other words, it HAD to ship if they didn't want to hold back the release of the camera any further.

This is a bit disconcerting to me, as this sort of strategy is giving me flashbacks to the way Apple handled the ProApps right before and during the FCP-X debacle. BMD are marketing and engineering geniuses, but it's pretty clear at this point that they are taking the Razor vs. Razor Blade approach to Resolve. In other words, Resolve is the free razor that gets everyone through the door, and the BMD Cinema Camera is the razor-blade through which they actually make their money.

It's an absolutely sound business model. But history has proven over and over that this model is not good for "professionals" who depend on this software for their livelihoods. This is why it's worth paying the more expensive costs associated with brands like Autodesk and Adobe, because you know that money is going directly into sustaining the product itself, and isn't just a little strategic cog in a greater business plan that may ultimately find your favorite product killed or neglected later on down the line because it no longer fits in that business model.

This is why I feel that while making a "Free" version of Resolve is good for BMD and the art of color-grading in general, it's probably not good for the product itself, because it may collapse under the weight of the priorities of the "free" users, and excuses can be made by BMD that certain non-glamorous features can't be implemented or fixed because they don't have the resources to dedicate to niche needs. Having a paid user base is the only way I can see to ensure the continuing quality and support of any software product.

I hope this doesn't come off as "biting the hand that feeds you," because I love love love Resolve, and am so impressed with where BMD has taken it so far, but I think it's a good idea to keep a reasoned perspective on the future of the product, considering how cheap they've made it, as well as the marketing tie-in with the Cinema Camera.

Return to posts index

jake blackstone
on Sep 29, 2012 at 4:25:39 am

I still use v8.2.2 and will continue to do so for a forceable future. Working mostly in Remote grading mode doesn't allow for any experimentation. V9 is a HUGE update and it would be silly not to expect some initial issues. I have v9 installed on a backup partition and I keep firing it up now and then, but until I'm fully satisfied, that v9 is as bullet proof as v8, I'm not going to use it in a production environment. I like where v9 is going, but there are no features, that would compel me to abandon v8 before v9 is completely shaken down.

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Oct 3, 2012 at 4:56:34 am

any updates on the matter ?

--

Margus

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:55:01 am

Hi,

Just set your image scaling to any of the other modes compared to Crop, and it will work fine. If you have 1080 media and 1080 timeline, it doesn't matter which mode you are in anyway.

We'll have a fix for this in the next dot update - hopefully soon.

Regards,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:26:28 am

Thank you!

--

Margus

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB