FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV 9 GUI is highly saturated. Is the DIY and mobile market changing Davinci?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Smith
DV 9 GUI is highly saturated. Is the DIY and mobile market changing Davinci?
on Sep 27, 2012 at 4:50:47 am

This is in part similar to another thread so apologies for any double up, but I'd love to get some opinions and further explore this if possible:

The new Davinci V9 GUI is highly saturated, with (in my opinion) unnecessary colors for every little thing from node inputs to the playback marker. Whilst I can understand the attempt to make the GUI easy to navigate for new users, having highly saturated colors next to a graded image will throw the colorist's accuracy out. It's a well established color principle. Grading on a Davinci requires a mouse and the UI, regardless of whether you are using a panel or not. Thus suites need LCD monitors beaming at the colorist during grading. Most colorists I know try to turn the screen off or down, but eventually the screen will be flicked on or turned up to handle a window open a still as doing it through the GUI is quicker. A grading program that has saturated and colourfully contrasting GUI components twinkling at the colourist is akin to having a sound mixing program like Protools beeping at the engineer every time she presses a button.

Although it would be great to see a preference setting to let you reduce this colour contrast in the GUI, I think it also raises some interesting issues over the direction of Resolve's development. Colour grading for professional Film and TV clients, performed in a calibrated grading suite, has a different set of requirements and challenges than that of DIY and on set grading. Is it possible to have one application cater for both markets?

Marcus.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: DV 9 GUI is highly saturated. Is the DIY and mobile market changing Davinci?
on Sep 27, 2012 at 6:10:45 am

Are you looking on the GUI ? For colors ???
I have mine set to the dimmest setting I can get using nVidia tools and Dreamcolor settings.
I agree it's disturbing, but as a general thing in a dark room, not because of the icons.
But let's extend the feature request for a dimable UI with the option for a monochrome one ( like Scratch offers )

A slice of color...

Resolve 9.01 OSX 10.8.2

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
Re: DV 9 GUI is highly saturated. Is the DIY and mobile market changing Davinci?
on Sep 27, 2012 at 8:04:02 am

i have done in monitor in some suites. just turned down what ever i can so
actual grading monitor shows in the dark and not gui.

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

andrew smith
on Sep 27, 2012 at 12:36:47 pm

Great idea!

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 27, 2012 at 10:39:11 pm

Marcus,

I agree with you on the issue of the saturated GUI. I did see a post where they asked the users if they would like the option for a monochrome interface. I think that would be great and I do think they need to do something.

I do find the colors in the interface to be distracting to me as a colorist. The monitor I have for Resolve is a very big one, so those colors are even more apparent and in my face.

Also my clients sit behind me and I can see them looking at my computer screen sometimes too. I know the colors on the computer monitor confuse them (even though I tell them to look at the calibrated video monitors and not the computer one).

I do think that Version 9 was made to be more 'cute' and they went away from the professional market. But maybe that is their goal (like Final Cut X). I do hope they add the option to mute the colors in the GUI or even make it monocrome. Who needs those extra distractions when you are color grading? (Although I'm not sure if they will listen to us.. as we are still waiting for the simple option of being able to duplicate a timeline).

The version update thing doesn't bother me at all. I actually don't want to update my software all the time. If it's working I don't like to mess with it. Plus you don't know what might stop working (tracking bug for example).

Thanks for the thoughts,
Peter

Return to posts index

Dan Moran
on Sep 28, 2012 at 7:57:03 am

I worked on Resolve 9 for 16 hours straight yesterday and I honestly don't find it distracting at all.

Also if you want to duplicate a timeline all you need to do is.

Make new Empty Sequence
Copy Paste the clips from one to another
If you want to break the links to the other timeline then click copy remote grades to local or what ever its called now

Done!

--

Dan Moran
Colourist
Smoke & Mirrors: London
http://www.danmorancolor.com/blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]