FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve not linking to RED media (from Avid AAF)

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Berg
Resolve not linking to RED media (from Avid AAF)
on Sep 12, 2012 at 12:46:39 am

Anyone ever see this before or know how I can 'resolve' it.

I am loading an AAF from Avid Media Composer 5.5. AAF comes in fine, but I can't get it to link to the media in my media pool. This Avid sequence is from RED media, although the editor was using low res MXF Avid media during his edit.

When I look at my timeline, most of the clips are just black. A few are red and have the 'no clip' icon on them. I pulled up the 'Conform EDL' window to see the details from the AAF. I can see the Reel names and some of them match the Reel names of the RED R3D clips in my media pool. Also the timecodes of the clips are within the clips in my media pool. But these clips are not re-linking.

Why does Resolve not link? When I brought in the AAF, I tried all the various settings. I did make sure to check 'Link to source camera files' as I figured this would ignore the Avid MXF media and would link back to the R3D files.

In this case, when the AAF export was done in the Avid, the media was offline (as we don't have access to the offline MXF media). So I want the Resolve to re-link to the R3D files. Is that not possible?

I know if the AAF is linked to the media that I want to use, Resolve can keep that link and use the same media. But in this case I want to link to the camera files so I thought that was what that checkbox is for.

Thanks for any help on this one.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
Re: Resolve not linking to RED media (from Avid AAF)
on Sep 12, 2012 at 3:35:52 am

If you are using multi cam edits in AVID, you need to 'COMMIT MULTI CAM EDITS' before you export an AAF. Also, your Reel ID's in the media have to match the Reel ID's in the AAF / EDL.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
Re: Resolve not linking to RED media (from Avid AAF)
on Sep 12, 2012 at 3:55:48 am

Thanks Craig. Great suggestions.

We did make sure to Commit Multi-cam edits before we export the AAF. Also in looking at the R3D Reel number and also the Reel number in the conform EDL area in the Conform page, they match exactly.

For example one of the shots has the Reel in the conform EDL as 'A076_C002_0516PN' and in the media pool window right above it I see a clip in the bin I pointed to with a Reel No as 'A076_C002_0516PN'. Also the shot is about 1 second long and the timecode of the clip (per the conform EDL window) is well within the TC of the clip in the media pool.

Should re-link shouldn't it? Or does Resolve not re-link media when the AAF that is exported had 'Media Offline' (wasn't linked to any actual media at the time)? Is there some flag in the AAF that tells Resolve that the clip was offline, and thus Resolve won't re-link those clips to any media files which are in the media pool?

-Peter

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
Re: solve not linking to RED media (from Avid AAF)
on Sep 12, 2012 at 5:57:06 am

Peter, we have the same issue with AAFs from Avid and have posted before about this. No answers from the peeps at BM.

We create the AAF ourselves from Avid Project with offline media and this happens 100% of time for all media not just R3Ds.. It's a total bummer. If there are a lot of repos we usually use force conform to relink to clips as it's faster to do that than conform to edls and manually execute each repo to matc offline.

Wish this could get figured out as it limits the feature greatly.

Cheers, Chris

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 12, 2012 at 6:09:12 pm

Peter and Chris,
When you make the AAF in AVID, are your files still available locally or are they indeed offline?
Before you import the AAF in Resolve, are you populating the Media Pool with footage?

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:18:06 pm

Chris... glad to know that I am not alone in my mystery. Still a mystery why we can't force the Resolve to automatically re-link to that media. Adds quite a bit of time in the conform process. Sounded like version 9 might fix this problem.. but it seems not.

Craig... on the Avid side the media is indeed offline. There are many projects where I only get an AAF or an Avid bin. I don't have the low res Avid media available (why would I need the low res media, if I am re-linking to R3D files?).

In Resolve, my workflow is to always add the media into the Media Pool first. Makes it easier for me to organize the media. So I add all the RED media into the Media pool and then import the AAF. Even though the TC and Reel numbers match, Resolve will not link to the RED media.

Can this be fixed please?

-Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 12, 2012 at 8:57:35 pm

I think this is more an AVID issue than a Resolve issue.
Based on my experience where the media is offline prior to creating an AAF in AVID, the media has never reconnected in Resolve. Sound to me like there's an issue somewhere with the AAF metadata.

Best case is to get the editor who has access to the footage to create an AAF.

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:13:17 pm

Sorry Craig. I have to disagree with you. I don't think this problem is in Avid's court. The metadata is fine. I can see that the Reel/Tape names and Timecode metadata is in the AAF just fine, and Resolve can read it.

We just need Blackmagic to allow Resolve to actually re-link the files. I would have thought the checkbox 'Link to source camera files' would be the fix. But maybe there is a bug with that checkbox option in the AAF import? That checkbox should break any existing link if Resolve finds matching media in the media pool.

If I bring an EDL over it can relink to the footage without being linked to the offline low res media. I'm sure there must be a way to make an AAF re-link to the RED high res media as well. I know that Resolve can make a new AAF, so they have the knowledge about how to modify and create AAF data.

I just don't see how you can blame Avid when the necessary metadata is there in the AAF. Resolve just needs to be allowed to link to the matching media. I'm not sure if there needs to be another check box to allow that, or if the 'Link to source camera files' checkbox could be used to allow the linking. Weather the AAF is linked to low-res Avid media (which I never get or need anyways)or not linked to that low-res media, I would like Resolve to be able to re-link to the matching media in the media pool. Is that really asking too much from Resolve?

I just know how this could save me lots of time and make Resolve an even better tool. So that's why I am bringing it up.

-Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 12, 2012 at 9:27:23 pm

Peter,
No argument re: EDL when linking media that is offline in AVID. We have had no issues here doing that, which is why I believe it's an AVID AAF issue.

I have successfully relinked many projects via AAF in Resolve that were cut in AVID. Editorial has always used MXF (DNxHD 36) derived from either R3D, Arri RAW or Arri ProRes. We always relink back to the original media (R3D, DPX, ARI, PRORES, etc), therefore every project needs to be relinked to the original media.

The only time we have ever had an issue with AAF files is whenthe media is 'offline in AVID.' The metadata looks the same in the conform / EDL window in Resolve, but something in the AAF file is not the same. The only difference between an AAF that works and doesn't work is whether or not the media in online and available in AVID prior to making the AAF. That would make it an AVID issue IMO.

Media Available in AVID prior to exporting AAF = WORKS
Media Offline in AVID prior to exporting AAF = DOESN'T WORK
Media Available or Offline in AVID prior to exporting EDL = WORKS

The fact that the EDL works shows it's a metadata issue the originates in AVID. It has nothing to do with Resolve.

Craig

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 12, 2012 at 10:46:38 pm

Craig,

We are both in agreement that the workflow does not work if on the Avid side the media is not "linked". But why should that matter?

You even said, that you always relink back to the original media, therefore every project needs to be relinked to the original media. So why should it matter if the offline cut is linked to low res Avid media or not? As long as the proper metadata is in the AAF for all the clips in the timeline, that should be all that is needed.

This problem has everything to do with the way Resolve is reading some metadata in the AAF. Can you tell me that it's technically impossible to take an AAF that is not 'linked' to media (although has all the correct metadata for the clips) and re-link it to other media with the same metadata?

I would think the Blackmagic engineers could find out what metadata in the AAF is keeping the timeline from re-linking and make it so Resolve could re-link to the matching media.

Maybe you wouldn't find it helpful.. but I know I sure would. And if we want to see this work, then I would love for the Blackmagic team to take a look at this issue. I'm almost positive you won't get Avid to change their AAF structure to accommodate the Blackmagic workflow. Basically that takes away some of their business (people who could use Symphony instead). And if the AAF workflow works for their software (we send unlinked AAF's to Protools all the time), why would they go and change it? Do you work for Blackmagic by the way?

-Peter

Return to posts index

Craig Harris
on Sep 12, 2012 at 11:19:44 pm

[Peter Berg] "Maybe you wouldn't find it helpful.. but I know I sure would. And if we want to see this work, then I would love for the Blackmagic team to take a look at this issue."

Totally agree!
It should work and there have been times where a solution to this would have been very, very helpful.

Anyone from Blackmagic care to chime in?

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Sep 13, 2012 at 12:45:24 am

In our case the media is offline. We have the editor deliver us an Avid Bin with locked sequence and open that to create AAF's.

I am assuming that if one were to have media online on a system that runs both Avid and Resolve that media would relink without having to force conform but that's just not going to happen with the workflows we encounter with our clients.

Chris

Return to posts index

Christopher Kechichian
on May 2, 2013 at 7:46:21 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm a big reader of this forum and it helped me advance a lot.
Yesterday I got a music video to grade on Davinci. The editing was done with avid media composer 6,
the editor transcoded the original files to .mxf so he could work fast, then he relinked the clips to the original files (via AMA). I'm having the same problem that Peter is having, when I import the aaf file in Davinci, all the clips in the timeline appear with the red logo thing (can't see them) although I can see them in the media pool. Did you guys find any solution for this?
Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]