FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 Output Scaling Issues

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Wright
16:9 Output Scaling Issues
on Sep 10, 2012 at 10:39:16 am

Hi there,

Not sure if this is just me being stupid, but in R9 I can't seem to find a consistent way to monitor my HD footage on an SD grading monitor (as I was in Resolve 8.x). My footage is coming from an avid AAF in full HD, but due to constraints with my system I have to grade at SD and then click back up to HD for the render.

Granted not ideal, but Resolve 8 had no problem with this. Now in R9 I can't seem to get my footage to fit the SD monitor correctly. Every combination of SD timeline/output settings seems to either resize the footage down (so that I only get a miniature picture in the middle of my output monitor), or stretch it out too wide etc. Very frustrating.

Running the latest release of the Mac Pro, OS X 10.7.1, Decklink desktop video 9.6.2, Resolve 9 non beta.

Only thing I can think of is that I run a Decklink HD Extreme 2 and not the 3D one but this was never a problem in R8 so i'm hoping the answer isn't just 'buy a new card'.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
Re: 16:9 Output Scaling Issues
on Sep 11, 2012 at 6:37:10 am

I had major difficulty setting up a proper 16:9 pal project. Some advice:
1. Check the clip attributes in de media pool and set them to the correct aspect ratio.
2. If that dont work, go to settings, image scaling, hot the reset button.
3. Generally, switch between settings sometimes does miracles for me. Resolve looks like the clip atributes are set to anamorphic, but after I switch back and forth between pal res, it displays the images different (correct) then before.

Hope this helps and please post any result, I think its a big problem at the moment and it took me almost 2 days to figure out a workaround.

Editor/Colorist, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
http://www.pepijnklijs.nl

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Sep 11, 2012 at 7:00:14 am

4. Also, you can try to turn the 'optimized for sdi' buttom of. In my case it stretched everything soon as I hit playback.

But I was also thinking about your workflow... Shouldn't you put everything at full hd except the monitoring settings? So the timeline and output at full hd? Just a thought...

Good luck

Return to posts index

Jon Wright
on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:17:19 pm

Hi there Pepijn,

Thanks for your reply, it seems the only way I can get it to work is randomly switching between settings for a while and then for some reason it seems to click into the correct res. Tried all combinations of settings including playing with the clip settings individually. Annoyingly I've had it working on certain settings, written them all down and saved a preset, and then returned to them the next day and they don't work!

I'd love to be able to leave everything at HD apart from the output settings, however I can't seem to find a setting that will allow me to do that. Any combination of output scaling options just gives me a cropped HD image on my SD monitor (perhaps a product of having a lesser decklink card?). If you have it working another way I'd be glad to hear how.

Obviously I can't grumble too much, as this new build of software seems to be great! I think it's more a me-not-having-a-HD-grading-monitor problem, it's just annoying as I had it working perfectly before.

Jon

Return to posts index

Pepijn Klijs
on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:27:14 pm

Hi Jon,

Seems like we spend the same kind of weekend going back and forth fiddling the settings; times are hard!:)

I don't think the decklink card is an issue. Ive got decklink sdi and solved my scaling issues with an order of setting switches. However, just like you, I find my project in the wrong format everytime I open it back up. This is clearly a software bug. Even one of the davinci guys at IBC that I spoke with acknowledged this. He also assured me that he'll pass it on to the developers, so we just need patience I hope...

Can't you reinstall v8?

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Jon Wright
on Sep 11, 2012 at 3:45:51 pm

Could roll back to V8 however its not quite annoying enough to be bothered! I like the new interface, and R9 makes my life easier in other ways (AAF generation for instance) so I'm gonna stick for the time being and see what they come up with.

Jon

Return to posts index

David Davidson
on Dec 20, 2012 at 6:06:59 pm

I'm having a very similar issue. But it seems project specific for me. Did you get a resolution?

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3606

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]