FORUMS: list search recent posts

New GUI & Continued Support - Version 8?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Harris
New GUI & Continued Support - Version 8?
on Sep 6, 2012 at 6:34:06 pm

First, thank you BlackMagic-Design for making great tools accessible to everyone! It's made a big difference for a lot of small companies and people like myself.

I have been using the new beta for several weeks and at this point have not been able to embrace the new GUI. I find it slower, less intuitive and am disappointed we're going to loose the original version. Am I alone in this? The small icons and drop down menus are difficult to read and take longer than the original tabs. Having to pull up project settings boxes that require scrolling instead of having it all in one page is unfortunate. Just sad to see a good thing go.

Will BM be supporting V8 or is 8.2.2 the final chapter?

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
Re: New GUI & Continued Support - Version 8?
on Sep 7, 2012 at 3:01:01 pm

I agree Craig that there are things in V8 that I like better. I do wish they would keep V8 going for awhile longer. Especially for people who are in the middle of big projects. I found a few bugs in V8 and another update to fix those would be nice.

But I was told they will have no more updates for V8 (unless we can convince them otherwise).

-Peter

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Sep 9, 2012 at 11:17:11 am

Riding a dead horse wont get you nowhere.
BMD have been uber responsive and caring during the beta program.
We got new builds the next day after finding a bug or even got new features added.
I suggest we start a nice thread about things that we feel strongly about what should make it into 9.1 and let 8 rest in peace.
I have a few pet peeves too, but generally 9 is a big big improvement on almost every part of the program.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Peter Berg
on Sep 9, 2012 at 5:43:29 pm

I hear your points Sascha, but in my world things haven't been quite as rosy. I was in the middle of a few big projects and did not want to migrate to a beta software (or even a new version) at this point.

But we found a bug where Resolve would not output audio smoothly from the timeline. The audio was breaking up and not usable for my client sessions. Blackmagic recommended to switch to the the new beta software fixed that bug, but it put me in a bad place.

Stay with the software that I was the most familiar with but not have good audio playback, or switch to a very different software version which was still in beta. I didn't have time to learn the differences between 8 and 9 (and there are quite a few UI changes).

I know other companies that will still offer bug fixes with their previous releases and don't basically force you to upgrade (And in this case to very different software which was still beta).

If I was a student or just trying the software for the first time, it wouldn't be a big deal. But when you have multiple deadlines to meet and the pressure is building, as a business owner I don't appreciate the way that Blackmagic handles their software bugs/updates.

Any how long have we been asking for the option to duplicate a timeline? Should be an easy fix for them.. but I don't believe it's been added in V9. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But that is just my experience.

-Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]