FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strange behavior Cineform files

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Kitsov
Strange behavior Cineform files
on Aug 31, 2012 at 10:36:39 pm

Experiencing a strange behavior with Cineform files produced by Resolve v9b3. I am not able to do anything with those files in either one of the Cineform apps (GoPro studio Premium or FirstLight). These file will not respond to any manipulation within the First Light or GoPro studio.

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
Re: Strange behavior Cineform files
on Sep 1, 2012 at 1:53:52 pm

My guess is that Resolve uses a different flavour of Cineform than the GoPro camera does.
And the free GoPro Studio is only licensed to work with the original files from the cam.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Chris Hall
on Sep 1, 2012 at 6:50:27 pm

I've also noticed that I have to force cineform rgb renders from resolve 9 to "full range" otherwise they render out at 64-940 by default. Anyone else seen this? Resolve 8 rendered cineform rgb at full range by default.

Chris Hall
Colorist - Basher Films
Pasadena, CA

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kitsov
on Sep 1, 2012 at 8:23:55 pm

I am afraid I am not using the GoPro camera. GoPro now owns Cineform and all of the consecutive since last year releases of Cineform Codecs and software are released under the GoPro logo/brand. There by definition cannot be a different "flavour" of Cineform, as it is a codec that is APId, SDKd, and licensed by one entity - Cineform/GoPro. It is not a container. All of the Cineform encoded files must behave in a similar fashion within the Cineform/GoPro apps/pipelines.
What I am experiencing is clearly a bug I just do not know whose side it is on - FSMAHM knows - Cineform platform is very buggy - CF or Resolve. Knowing, that I have no issues with changing the metadata layer of CF files that come out of other apps or from the proprietary converter HDLink.
As I have mentioned I am using HDLink with FirstLight/Cineform Studio Premium, so obviously it was not free.
As a usual practice one is able to make changes to the Cineform files within the FirstLight/GoPro Studio Premium. Changes like Color balance, gamma/gain/lift input/output curves/ LUTs, etc. I am not able to do any of those with the Cineform.mov files made by Resolve 9
Hoping to get a confirmation from other people using similar workflow pipeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]