FORUMS: list search recent posts

Setting up a P3 workflow on the Resolve

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Lehnert
Setting up a P3 workflow on the Resolve
on Aug 30, 2012 at 7:20:05 pm

If I'm working with RED footage in 4k should I create Log DPX files to color in the Resolve? If I have a P3 capable monitor what settings should I use in Resolve for a P3 workflow?

Return to posts index

Peter Chamberlain
Re: Setting up a P3 workflow on the Resolve
on Aug 31, 2012 at 2:54:05 am

Resolve can decode and debayer the R3D files natively so no need to convert to DPX for grading. You may need to render the clips you need to go to VFX but in Resolve we handle R3D.
If you have a P3 monitor, and the grades you make look good on that monitor, thats what you will render.

Consider using the Camera Raw controls in Resolve v9, REDcolor3 and get the image in the range with ISO etc, but do all the grading in Resolve as we use 32 bit floating point processing.

Peter

Return to posts index

Steve Shaw
on Aug 31, 2012 at 8:42:33 am

I have found very few (actually none) monitors that can do P3 accurately...

The only displays I have found that can do P3 have been projectors (or the Dolby monitor!).

Before embarking on a P3 grade I would suggest checking your display is really accurate!

Of all the monitors that I have tested that say they do 'P3', not one actually managed to do it close to accurately.

Cheers,

Steve

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Aug 31, 2012 at 4:44:38 pm

Thanks for all the help. It seems Rec709 is the best way to go right now.

Return to posts index

Ola Haldor Voll
on Sep 3, 2012 at 11:47:02 am

I set up DaVinci to output 1920x1080 or 2048x1080, and preferably dual-link 4:4:4, data levels.
The monitor, and Autocue T-series, is set up to D-cine mode and 6302K, Gamma 2.35

When I go to the theatre for final adjustments, I leave Resolve as is, and use the RGB to XYZ LUT.
Then I render to TIFF 16b XYZ, without the LUT applied.

I find the Autocue comes VERY close to the projector. There's seldom any big changes. Mostly windows and tracking to fix focus. Obvious things that are easier to spot on the big screen than a 24".

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]