FORUMS: list search recent posts

EFI GTX 570 crashing on boot...

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Conforti
EFI GTX 570 crashing on boot...
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:36:16 am

Hi there,

after a long wait (due to brazillian customs law), I've finally got my GTX 570 to use with Resolve, with the modded firmware by macvidcards. Installed it inside my 3,1 Mac Pro (slot 1), next to my old GT 120 on slot 2. Turn the Mac on, and first boot went fine: I could see both cards happy together on my Snow Leopard 10.6.8 System Information window.

But after installing the Quadro 4000 driver and the certified 4.0.19 CUDA driver, the installer reeboted the machine. I heard the boot sound, apple symbol showed up, gray screen came in and then... nothing. I was staring at the spinning symbol for some time, until it froze. Hard drives went on sleep and the machine just hanged.

So here's everything I have tried to far:

- boot a few other times: same problem;
- boot in safe mode: immediately some text came over the apple screen (looking like old MS-DOS)
- boot using a different system disk (same 10.6.8 and drivers installed though): same problem
- boot from Mac OSX 10.6 installation DVD: same problem (so drivers installation was not the problem, right?)
- boot without the GT 120 (and monitor connected to the GTX 570): same problem, but instead of hanging on the gray screen, the "you need to restart your computer" screen with creepy "curtain" effect shows up
- exchange slots: same problem

So the only way I could boot normally again was by removing the GTX570 from the Mac Pro. Then I've tried a few other times to insert it back, but the problem would come back again.

I am not sure what is going on because the card was recognized at first, but after reebooting to finish the driver installation I couldn't use it anymore. I've sent a message today to David asking for help, but got an automatic reply from eBay informing that the shop will be closed until september 7th, so I don't know if he will be able to help before that. But I have a project with a serious deadline problem and was counting on this to finish it... so if anyone could PLEASE help me on this anyhow I would be very thankful!

Pedro

Pedro Conforti :: Colorist
Link Digital
-----------------------

Mac Pro 8 core 2.26Ghz 48Gb RAM
OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
GTX 570 2.5Gb
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

Rohit Gupta
Re: EFI GTX 570 crashing on boot...
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:55:06 am

Can you try to boot up with the GT120, and install Mountain Lion on a new partition. Once you have installed it, can you try to put back the 570 and check if it works.

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:04:06 am

Just use a normal PC evga 570, just need lo

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
http://www.davidchai.com
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:05:09 am

Just use a normal PC evga 570 2.5GB, just need lion 10.7.4, latest nvidia drivers and latest cuda, works without flashing.

David

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:30:10 am

Thanks for the reply, Rohit. I've just purchased Mountain Lion on App Store, so I am downloading it right now...

Meanwhile I have tried resetting the PRAM and also booting in 64bit mode. No luck. :/

Will try your suggestion and write back with the results.

Thanks

Link Digital
-----------------------

GTX 570 2.5Gb
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:04:35 am

Have you followed Dave's instruction for installation in the macvidcards site?

http://macvidcards.com/2011/29/fermi-cards-come-to-the-mac-pro/

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:18:32 am

Pedro I just noticed your signature, are you using Snow Leopard? SL does not support the 500 series cards, only 400. Lion and Mountain Lion support 500s and Mountain Lion also supports 600s. This is all spelled out on the macvidcards site.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:29:40 am

Thanks Juan, that probably explains it... but I still cannot understand how I have been able to boot normally with both cards on SL for the first time...

I swear I really tried to do it right and read all the installation instructions on the macvidcards eBay ad, but of course I missed something(s) on the way.

Thanks for your time and quick replies!

Pedro

Link Digital
-----------------------

GTX 570 2.5Gb
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:15:34 pm

Thanks Juan, that probably explains it... but I still cannot understand how I have been able to boot normally with both cards on SL for the first time.

I swear I really tried to do it right and follow the the installation instructions on the macvidcards eBay ad, but of course I missed something(s) on the way.

Thanks for your time and quick replies,

Pedro

Link Digital
-----------------------

GTX 570 2.5Gb
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:15:56 am

I believe you need to have the CUDA driver version 5.0.17 installed for the nVIDIA GTX 570 card. I am guessing that the Quadro 4000 will be just fine with the same driver.

David Baud
Editor & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Aug 30, 2012 at 4:37:03 am

Thanks David... but would the lack of this driver cause the machine to crash on boot like this?

Last time I've checked, BlackMagic recommended version 4.0.19. Are you using 5.0.17 with a GTX570, with a Quadro or something else?

And which NVIDIA driver (not CUDA) version?

Thanks,

Pedro

Link Digital
-----------------------

GTX 570 2.5Gb
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

David Baud
on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:50:22 am

Hello Pedro,

My MacPro 4,1 system setup is different than yours: I use an ATI Radeon HD 5770 in slot-1 and the nVIDIA GTX 570 in slot-2. In order to install the driver for the nVIDIA card I followed the instruction there:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-270.00.00f06-driver.html

For the record I did not flash my EVGA GTX 570 card since I am using it headless (just for GPU).
It says you need to have Lion installed (OS 10.7.4), but I don't know if you can still make it work with Snow Leopard.

Yes I believe if your system does not recognize your graphics card in slot-1, it could crash when trying to boot...

I hope this help,

David Baud
Editor & VFX
KOSMOS PRODUCTIONS
Denver - Paris
http://www.kosmos-productions.com

Return to posts index

Margus Voll
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:03:46 am

sometimes you need to swap the cards from slot1 to slot2

--

Margus

http://iconstudios.eu

DaVinci 9, OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 5.1 2x2,93 24GB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Multibridge 2 Pro

Return to posts index

Pedro Conforti
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:23:54 am

David,

thanks for the info. And it seems that the problem is software related, as you guessed, because I have just managed to boot with the GTX 570 back inside, by installing and booting from a different partitiom with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion, following Rohit's advice.

You guys have no idea of how I feel now... I was really worried it could be a hardware problem, because it would be too time consuming to ship this card back to the US. Now I have to either find out what is the software problem with Snow Leopard or just move to Mountain Lion and don't look back (even though I admit I don't like this iOS feel).

Thank you so much David, Juan and Rohit!

Pedro

Link Digital
-----------------------

GTX 570 2.5Gb
Tangent Element
Decklink HD Extreme 3D

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Aug 30, 2012 at 7:29:42 am

I think you had installed wrong nvidia driver.
There are 2 different osx drivers floating around on the nvidia site.

Return to posts index

Chris Gosling
on Sep 10, 2012 at 1:06:03 pm

David, I have a quick question for you.

You say you have both the 5770 and the 570 in your machine. How are you powering them both, are you not missing a power connection? If I read the Resolve set-up manual you will 3 power connections, and the mac pro only has 2.

Just curious.

Chris

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Sep 10, 2012 at 3:55:32 pm

Hi Chris, actually I'm just using the single GTX 570, I took my 5770 out of the machine. There are people who have both cards in their system, but I didn't want the heat and power issues and also didn't want to lose a slot.

I've read that some use a power cable from the optical drive and convert it to a PCI E card power, and some will use a splitter cable, making sure a dedicated power goes to the power port of the GTX 570, and the split goes to the 5770 and the 2nd power port of the GTX 570. It's done that way as the graphics card only draws more power under load, so this balances the power requirements better. I haven't done it myself, so do at your own risk.

good luck with your machine,
David

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

Chris Gosling
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:50:00 pm

Thanx David - even though my post was for the "other David", your answer was appreciated.

I would like to ask you some things if I may....
1) How does the speed of the 570 compare to the 5770?
2) Do you use FCP X or PP? and if FCPX, how is the speed?
3) How is Resolve with the single card?

Thanx a lot.

C

Return to posts index

David Chai
on Sep 10, 2012 at 6:22:09 pm

No problems Chris:

1) was only able to get around 11fps before, now I can get full frame playback with multiple nodes with the GTX 570.
2) I use FCPX a lot, and if anything seems to run faster with the new card.
3) Resolve for my needs is perfectly fine with the single card, I'm mostly doing simple grades with 2 or 3 nodes, and real time playback is not a deal breaker. As I work mostly unsupervised. If I was working with client in room, then I would probably look at multiple cards, but you can always add that later if you find one is not enough. I initially thought I had to have a separate GUI card, but I also didn't want to lose performance with FCPX when I spend most of my time, so it's a good compromise. And Blackmagic recommend this card if you are running single GPU only.

Good luck with your system!
David

-----------------
David Chai
Writer . Director
dc@davidchai.com
212 363 0159

Return to posts index

Chris Gosling
on Sep 10, 2012 at 7:04:13 pm

I don't normally make it a habit of thanking people who "make me" spend $550, but this time I'll make an exception.

Thanks for your answers, seems we have the same needs :-)

C

Return to posts index

Rasch Dè rascher
on Oct 11, 2012 at 4:51:20 pm

Just plug my new gtx 570 hd on a mac pro 3,1 early 2008.
It seems to works fine from the beginning whit latest cuda driver raccomenden by Blackmagic (5.0.36) and OSX 10.7.5
Now I'm trying to optimize the card for my system.
I've tryied to enable open cl and cuda cores via terminal for afx and premiere, but seems not work...
Resolve lite runs good, but the render time for a dpx from an alexa's pro res 444 is around 10 fps...isn't it a bit slow??? suggestions?
thank u

This town needs an enema! _The Joker

Mac Pro 3,1 2008 GeForce GTX 570 4 Gb RAM

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]