FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preview render?

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Christie
Preview render?
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:20:52 am

Hi,

I've just started getting into resolve and was wondering if there is a preview render option, like RAM preview in AE? I'm running a pretty slow GPU for the moment while I get a feel for Resolve.

Cheers,

Daniel

Return to posts index

Christopher Tay
Re: Preview render?
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:39:51 am

Hi Daniel...there is no RAM preview in DaVinci Resolve. Everything happens in the GPU in real time and the slower the GPU you have, the lesser real time capability you'll get. You can do a render (cache) to disk to get real time playback.

-chrispy

Return to posts index

Kevin Cannon
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:40:16 am

Hi Daniel,

If you have a disk array that can play back DPX files in realtime (and it's being used for the cache), you can switch to "user selected clips" render cache mode. Then when you right click a clip and mark the clip for render cache, Resolve will write out DPX files the first time through the clip. Then until you make a change it will play back in realtime.

You could also enable "all clips" render cache mode and you won't have to select each one.

Hope that helps.

KC

Prehistoric Digital

Return to posts index

Sascha Haber
on Aug 30, 2012 at 9:20:54 am

If only the cache would be a permanent solution.
But it gets invalidated as soon as you leave the project.
So its quite unusable for long term projects where you wanna pre-render a full act or movie to be safe for presentation.

I also have the problem that very often the cached images only give me a black screen.
I need to invalidate the cache to get it back.
Same problem I had in Resolve 8
Right now there is a bug in R9b3 where the CACHE directory gets lost when adding a new timeline of sometimes just changing timelines.
I think I pasted it in 30 times now ;)

Also one should be able to shift select a group for processing to disk, but only single clips allow that feature.
An IO selection would be great too.

A slice of color...

DaVinci 9b3 OSX 10.8
MacPro 5.1 2x2,4 24GB
RAID0 8TB
GTX 470 / Quadro 4000
Extreme 3D+

Colorist / Aerial footage nerd
http://vimeo.com/saschahaber

Return to posts index

Daniel Christie
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:10:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. It would be nice to see a RAM preview type option in a future version. I guess a similar effect could be achieved by caching to a fast SSD. I recall being in grading sessions using Base Light where the colourist had to use something like a ram preview as the nodes stacked up or maybe he was caching to disk.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:52:28 pm

[Daniel Christie] "I guess a similar effect could be achieved by caching to a fast SSD."

Black Magic has some notes on the use of SSDs in their configuration guide relating to "burst rate" versus "sustained" data throughput. May work for very small files, but it doesn't seem like a general solution.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]