FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Media Folders

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Multiple Media Folders
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:47:02 am

I am trying to import an xml from FCP7 to Resolve8, midway it asks for media folder location. I have my media on 3 different scratch disks and cannot find a n option to select all of them . The result is nothing is imported.

What am I doing wrong? Should all files be moved in just one folder? That would be impossible.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
Re: Multiple Media Folders
on Aug 29, 2012 at 10:37:44 am

UPDATE:

I imported *manualy* all the clips from all three scratch disks to the media pool.

Result:

xml looks like imported the timeline but everything is black. No video playing.

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 29, 2012 at 3:33:38 pm

Does this footage have reel name and timecode? If so you should be able to first bring clips in to media pool. Then import XML. And it should conform to the footage in your pool. However if the material doesn't have unique reel or tc info this gets much trickier. Id recommend using fcp's media manager to consolidate material to a single folder first.

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Colin Travers
on Aug 29, 2012 at 5:58:41 pm

This actually brings up a feature request - to be able to select more than one drive for Resolve to look at when importing xml - i dont want to clog up my media pool with all of the media just what is in the xml i am importing but alas i can only select one location at a time is seems still and then whatever clips are on the other drive i have to manually add into the media pool to reconnect - would love to just be able to select more than what location when doing this..

I would also love to be able to remove clips fro media pool which are not in any of my timelines just to clean up the media pool after difficult conforms - so that only what i need is in there besides of course offline ref qt's, external mattes, etc.

DaVinci 9beta3
OSX 10.7.4
MacPro 12-core 5,1 2.66 32GB RAM
RAID0 8TB
GT120/GTX580 (CUDA 5.0.17)
Decklink Extreme3D
FSI LM-2461W / Panny VT25
Tangent Wave / Wacom

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 29, 2012 at 6:28:56 pm

I always prep and consolidate in FCP or originating NLE. But agree some sort of consolidate and prune function would be really useful.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:32:30 pm

"Does this footage have reel name and timecode? If so you should be able to first bring clips in to media pool. Then import XML. And it should conform to the footage in your pool."

Juan this is what I did but the video in the timeline plays black.

"Id recommend using fcp's media manager to consolidate material to a single folder first."

I was thinking about this option OR to export my finished edit to .mov and use resolve's function to analyse the cuts and take it from there.

What do you think would work best?

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 29, 2012 at 9:44:56 pm

Id recommend using fcp's media manager to consolidate material to a single folder first.

Could you point me to some instructions on how to do this?

many thanks

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:39:50 am

Yes, I'd check out the media manager sections of the fcp documentation.

Return to posts index

Chris Martin
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:49:58 am

Even though we try and use AAF and XML's to conform, we always export corresponding edl's to use in Browse to split and add only selects to media pool. Then you have a nice neat media pool and can even copy media to local drives before conforming.
This is for v8.

Chris

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Aug 30, 2012 at 7:34:14 am

Thanks, I will read that. It will be helpful to know my way around the media manager.

But what about the other option - bringing the final exported film and using the scenecut to make automatically all the cuts?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]