FORUMS: list search recent posts

Affordable DCI P3 color monitor options

COW Forums : DaVinci Resolve

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eugene Lehnert
Affordable DCI P3 color monitor options
on Aug 26, 2012 at 9:07:22 pm

What are some of the more affordable monitor options when grading in the P3 color space? And what are some of the best companies for color calibration and LUT creation?

Return to posts index

Juan Salvo
Re: Affordable DCI P3 color monitor options
on Aug 26, 2012 at 10:39:51 pm

Well for P3 you're really talking about theatrical release... so while there are some monitors that will show you p3 gamut (Dolby, Sony BVW-F/E, Panny BT300u, FSi, DreamColor) eventually you'll need to look at it on a projector. Most DI facilities are using Christie/NEC/Barco 2K projectors. These are 35K+. Some have tried using consumer projectors capable of DCi gamut (sony vpl-vw1000es/ jvc rs-65) though these are limited to HDMI inputs and HD resolution signals, both of which are a hassle. I can't personally vouche for these as DCi systems. All of those solutions require careful and ongoing calibration, with a high precision probe.

As far as software for calibration/luts the standard is pretty much light space, sometime cinespace.

But if you want affordable grading for DCI you're far better off doing a poor-man's DI and just grading in 709 and converting. You might not be pushing it as much, but at least you'll know what you are getting and can afford the gear to do it right. Better a great or even good 709 grade than a bad/inaccurate P3 grade!

Colorist | Online Editor | Post Super | VFX Artist | BD Author

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Eugene Lehnert
on Aug 26, 2012 at 11:53:28 pm

Thanks for the information. I've been living in a Rec709 world for a long time and am just getting my feet wet in the big wide world of large gamuts. The Resolve is an affordable color corrector but it still requires a large investment to work with these higher end workflows still it seems.

So even though the Dolby monitor can show the P3 color space it is not recommended to grade on since nobody would see it on that type of device?

From what I understand going from XYZ from P3 is not much of a change since XYZ is the visible part of the P3 Color Gamut? So a 3D LUT may be all you need for a conversion to a DCP? Then if you do a Rec709 version of the film you need to do a color pass on the movie since a 3D LUT may not be enough to convert the color spaces?

Return to posts index

Marc R Leonard
on Aug 27, 2012 at 3:05:01 pm

I'm hearing more and more that people are going this route with great success.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]